April 19, 2024, 01:36:57 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Neutralizing mild acid  (Read 4513 times)

chucky6

Neutralizing mild acid
« on: October 22, 2004, 05:10:42 PM »
I am not a student. I have a medical condition that requires me to use Clorox ,that I have to neutralize or it will destroy my septic system. What amount of baking soda do I use to neutralize 16oz of Clorox? Please answer this question as I do not know were else to go.   Charles. :)

Demotivator

Re:Neutralizing mild acid
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2004, 08:58:37 PM »
Clorox is  basic, not acidic so baking soda won't work.
To neutralize the base, white vinegar will work. However, by introducing the acidic vinegar, chlorine gas may be generated which may also be undesirable.

The culprit is sodium hypochlorite in the bleach.
Perhaps you really mean deactivation of the hypochlorite by a dechlorinator (turns hypochlorite to chloride). Typically , this would be sodium sulfite, the ingredient in swimming pool dechlorinators.
I don't know how much it would take. One would have to read the label to determine the concentrations of the active ingredients.

After hypochlorite is deactivated, you may try neutralizing it.

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
Re:Neutralizing mild acid
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2004, 05:28:30 AM »
chlorox is an antisceptic because of its oxidising properties. It'll lose its usefulness if you try to deactivate it.
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Sponsored Links