April 16, 2024, 03:41:54 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: purification of an hcl  (Read 9594 times)

keeperx

purification of an hcl
« on: November 06, 2004, 02:26:25 AM »
OK lets say i have a solution of hydrocloric acid and and a HCl (Like maybe Psudoephedrine HCl or similar) the hcl i dont think is important.

I want to EXTRACT the  HCl from the solution.
1.)Can i basify it with lye (slowly of course) untill it is strongly base.
  If so will this produce a free base ontop water (thats what my research says)?
        and if so how should i extract it from the free base?

2.) If i do basify it, can i "move" the hcl into a solvent (naptha maybe)
and then move it again into water with a small amount of Acid?

do either of thease methods seem correct and what are your suggestions.

The point here is to get the hcl into a crystaline or powder form. Im trying to ectract the end product of a reaction (using hydrocloric acid) i have had success filtering the other reactants out but am unsure how to get the hcl out of the acid.. any help would be great. and just so you know and in case you were wondering i am NOT making an illeagle substance. other forum moderators accused me of making methamphetamine.. that is not the case

Offline limpet chicken

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +49/-27
  • Vote Limpet for supreme emperor of the new order
Re:purification of an hcl
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2004, 06:11:18 AM »
You want to basify the pfed, then take it up in a nonpolar, toluene and xylene seem to bee quite popular of late for basing out pfed, and to convert it back to the hydrochloride form, you could either evap the solvent and titrate against an aqeous solution of the acid, or rig up a gas generator, such as conc H2SO4 dripped onto CaCl anhydrous, this has the added advantage of drying the HCl gas that comes out.

Once the NP has been gassed, Pfed/epphy HCl will precipitate out of the NP in lovely white crystals.

You may want to try a second, third, and even fourth pull to maximise yield, although depending on where the pfed came from in the first place, certain polymers and other such obnoxious "gaak" may well have been included to thwart such purification.

And yes NaOH is the correct base to use to convert the hydrochloride to the freebase.

This information is just that, information, you said you were not making any illegal substances without the required permits and authorisation to do so, and this information is provided as such, for legitimate uses.

For further information, I refer you to the hive, www.the-hive.ws
The hive, presided over by Rhodium has gotten the acid-base reaction, and especially purification of pfed down to an art form :)
The light blinds
So behold darkness as our new light
In our darkness we can see
So with others blindness
We take flight.

Sponsored Links