March 28, 2024, 11:09:10 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: balanced equations  (Read 6165 times)

maisy

balanced equations
« on: November 10, 2004, 02:37:02 PM »
I am new to this so please bear with me.  I need to write a balanced equation for the following.  When Aluminum Hydroxide reacts with Hydrochloric Acid, a neutralization reaction occurs with water and an Aluminum Salt as the products.  Consider the reaction of 234 g of Aluminum Hydroxide with excess Hydrochloric Acid.  I need to write a balanced equation and answer some other questions but I can do that but am having trouble with balanceing first.  This is what I have so far, could someone please tell me if I did it correctly.

Al(OH)3 + 3HCL --- AlCL3 + 3HOH

Thanks

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
Re:balanced equations
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2004, 04:29:57 PM »
your equation is correct. water is however written commonly as H2O.

since you have the equation and the stoichiometric ratio now, you should be able to work out the solution for the rest of the questions
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

anlb4

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2004, 02:56:03 PM »
In response to the above balanced equation would the moles of the known be:

M al(oh)3  = 234g/78g al(oh)3 = 3 Moles of al(oh)3

or

M  Nal(oh)3 = 234g/46 = 5.09

The known is 234 grams of aluminum hydroxide with excess HCL

I thought the first one my girlfriend the second are either one of us right?

anlb4

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2004, 09:03:16 AM »
I am still wonderin g about my reply to this equation,

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2004, 10:14:16 AM »
For 3 moles of Al(OH)3 you need 9 moles of HCl and you will obtain 3 moles of AlCl3 (= 3 x 133.5 g of AlCl3)
But what does mean 46 - I do not understand

AWK
AWK

anlb4

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2004, 10:50:12 AM »
Our chemistry teacher has taught us differently I guessWe need to find the moles of the known in the above prblem that maisy wrote in about, we balance the equation , and now have to find the mole of the known, we were told to take moles of known, 234g of al(oh)3 (aluminumn hydroxide with excess hcl?) divided by grams of known.  aluminum, oxygen and hydrogen.= 78...3 oxygen 3 hydrogen, which equals the moles of the known, I guessed I am confused ...could you help

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2004, 04:00:39 PM »
the reaction equation tells us how many moles of HCl reacts with how many moles of Al(OH)3 to produce how many moles of AlCl3 and H2O. Hence, we can derive the molar ratio of a product to a reactant, and therefore calculate how much product is formed from a known quantity of reactant used up.
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Sponsored Links