April 26, 2024, 07:52:52 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Chemistry Sulfur Project  (Read 2858 times)

Offline Chr1sKim11

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Chemistry Sulfur Project
« on: May 08, 2007, 04:40:32 PM »
Hey my names Chris

I was assigned a Chemistry project recently and I was wondering if you guys could recommend some interesting yet entertaining sulfur experiments we can perform live at school.

Any recommendations would be helpful
Preferably experiments that would blow the class away

Thanks

Later

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
Re: Chemistry Sulfur Project
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 09:33:24 PM »
Sulfur!?

Do you have to use sulfur. There really isn't anything you can do with elemental sulfur other than making smelly and noxious compounds.

If you can use sulfur compounds, you can try adding a few drops of concentrated sulfuric acid into sugar. Caution this is an EXTREMELY exothermic reaction, and you will want to do it under a fume hood or in a well ventilated area.

Also check youtube/google video for sulfur hexaflouride. It's 5 time denser than air, so you can do some interesting things with it. There was a post on the forums to the video, but it may have been lost in the software "upgrade" (I'm not convinced as to it being upgrade yet).

[edit]
I found a post with a link to the video.
Freeze a banana in liquid nitrogen and hammer a nail into a block of wood with it. That's fun.

Check out sulfur hexafluoride fun.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2007, 09:57:02 PM by constant thinker »
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Sponsored Links