March 28, 2024, 05:42:00 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: How to test what metal i have?  (Read 3188 times)

Offline zacp_19

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
How to test what metal i have?
« on: May 08, 2007, 06:41:17 AM »
Ok genious', this is a tough, one i assure you. My Dad is a chemical engineer and still couldn't help me :o lol.

I am meant to design and complete a prac which, if followed will allow me to identify what metals i am given in class. I don't have access to very high tech instruments (which is what stumped my dad) just the basic school equipment.

Help is much appreciated.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: How to test what metal i have?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 08:30:15 AM »
You probably have more information - for example you are only limited to some subset of metals, and they will be in relatively pure form. Do you think your school have neodymium sample? I bet not :)
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline zacp_19

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 07:13:40 PM »
No more information is given to us. My teacher is a bit of a looney tune and this is one of the many bizare things he has done. No one in the class has a clue. i don't even know what neodymium is. keep trying guys. I don't reckon any of you can get this, and that is a challenge.

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2007, 09:38:00 PM »
Neodymium is used for extremely strong rare earth magnets. It's a pretty cool element if you ask me.

You could try testing magnetic properties.
Reactivity to certain acids.
Color (even though it it's qualitative).
Reactivity to water (although I doubt you'll work with any alkali metals in their elemental state).
Flame test.
Melting points (you can melt some metals with a bunsen burner).

Just list off different properties that are different between metals.
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Sponsored Links