April 27, 2024, 05:59:33 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: nmr spectra for meso-stilbene dibromide  (Read 16596 times)

Offline az_0k

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
nmr spectra for meso-stilbene dibromide
« on: October 28, 2006, 06:10:00 PM »
ok here is what happened. i synthesized some meso-stilbene dibromide from trans-stibene. i did an H1-NMR spectra on the meso-stibene dibromide using CDCL3 as my solvent and TMS as my reference. now here is what happened, i got a singlet at around 5.5ppm. could anyone please tell me what that peak represents? i just can't figure it out since i don't even have any double bonds here. any help would be greatly appreciated. thx a lot.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2006, 08:52:18 PM by az_0k »

Offline impulse29

Re: desperately need *delete me*!!! please help me!!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2006, 08:15:57 PM »
Seems like you need help in two places. The chemistry I can't help you with, but learning how to post on forums, the Forum Rules and Policy can help. This would also explain the lack of replies.
- Impulse

Offline az_0k

Re: nmr spectra for meso-stilbene dibromide
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2006, 08:52:44 PM »
sorry, the title is changed now

Offline enahs

• 16-92-15-68 32-7-53-92-16
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +206/-44
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2006, 11:41:26 PM »
I would guess based on the provided information you still had some unreacted trans-stilbene in your mixture.

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2006, 01:21:28 AM »
Can you post the spectra?
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline az_0k

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2006, 10:12:06 AM »
no problem. the question is, trans-stilbene doesn't have a peak around 5, weird.
the spectra is on the last page.

Offline Albert

• Lonely Wanderer
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +112/-22
  • Half Decent Pharmaceutical Chemist
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2006, 03:24:05 PM »
The peak at 5.50 is due to the two methines. In the pdf you attached, there is the spectrum of trans-stilbene, not trans-stilbene dibromide.

And that makes a difference.  ;)

Offline yamingx

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2006, 08:24:49 PM »
I can not download the PDF file, but the peak at about 5.5 ppm should be water peak which is from your solvent or samples according my experience.

Offline movies

• Organic Minion
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-21
  • Better living through chemistry!
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2006, 01:53:57 AM »
I can not download the PDF file, but the peak at about 5.5 ppm should be water peak which is from your solvent or samples according my experience.

The location of the water peak depends on what solvent you are using.  In this case, the spectrum is in CDCl3 and the water peak would show up at about 1.56 ppm. 

In more polar solvents like CD3OD, the water peak appears further downfield at 4.87 ppm, but in less polar solvents, like C6D6 then the water peak is shifted upfield to 0.40 ppm.

Offline yamingx

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2006, 10:07:19 AM »
The location of the water peak depends on what solvent you are using.  In this case, the spectrum is in CDCl3 and the water peak would show up at about 1.56 ppm. 

In more polar solvents like CD3OD, the water peak appears further downfield at 4.87 ppm, but in less polar solvents, like C6D6 then the water peak is shifted upfield to 0.40 ppm.
It is right what you said, but if the solution contain more water another water peak at about 5 ppm (depend on the amount of water in the solution will appear.

Offline movies

• Organic Minion
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-21
  • Better living through chemistry!
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2006, 11:41:37 AM »
You mean an actual H2O peak instead of HOD?  You would need a ton of water to see that.  I've certainly never encountered it before, but my NMR book says that bulk water (e.g., undissolved droplets) will show up at about 4.7 ppm in CDCl3.  If you have that much water in your sample, you have other problems!

Offline yamingx

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2006, 08:56:02 PM »
You mean an actual H2O peak instead of HOD?  You would need a ton of water to see that.  I've certainly never encountered it before, but my NMR book says that bulk water (e.g., undissolved droplets) will show up at about 4.7 ppm in CDCl3.  If you have that much water in your sample, you have other problems!
yes, the H2O peak. I am not sure if it exist as droplets, but generally the solution is clear. The chemical shift of H2O may shift a little, which is affected by the solvents, the property of solute and the concentration of solute and water. For an experienced chemist, when a strange NMR peak appear, the solvent residue should be considered firstly. 

Offline Custos

• Mole Snacks: +32/-0
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2006, 02:23:48 AM »
The second NMR in the pdf file shows meso-stilbene dibromide. The peak at 5.5 is due to the two methine protons. There's also some junk around 1.3 which is almost certainly the water peak, as movies suggested. Here is the predicted chemical shifts from ChemDraw (pretty cool).

Sponsored Links