March 28, 2024, 02:57:21 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: collision inquiry  (Read 7866 times)

tashkent

collision inquiry
« on: November 21, 2004, 01:10:51 AM »
Greetings everyone!

I have a question regarding collisions.  Is it true that maximum velocity rate is achieved if two particles collide with each other?  I've read from Atkins that "Before a collision a particular molecule may be travelling rapidly, but after a collision it maybe accelerated to a very high velocity, only to be slowed again by the next collision."  Based from that, my above statement is wrong.

I'm having the worst time of my life after the cruel GRE Chemistry exam.  I've encountered the statement in the above exam and I stated it was true.  Why are the examiners so interested in too much details?  You have to read a topic in a book sentence by sentence, coz they will create a question out of it.  They are so ruthless...

I'm so depressed,
Tashkent

ssssss

Re:collision inquiry
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2004, 02:07:52 AM »
Greetings everyone!

I have a question regarding collisions.  Is it true that maximum velocity rate is achieved if two particles collide with each other?  I've read from Atkins that "Before a collision a particular molecule may be travelling rapidly, but after a collision it maybe accelerated to a very high velocity, only to be slowed again by the next collision."  Based from that, my above statement is wrong.

I'm having the worst time of my life after the cruel GRE Chemistry exam.  I've encountered the statement in the above exam and I stated it was true.  Why are the examiners so interested in too much details?  You have to read a topic in a book sentence by sentence, coz they will create a question out of it.  They are so ruthless...

I'm so depressed,
Tashkent

I am certainly not answering the Question.But i want to say that the depresion is the ultimate killer.I have seen it as much in my life that you cant even Imagine.Dont feel depressed.Your Exam is just an obstacle.Those are fools who say that oppurtinity comes only once.If you are really dedicated to your work just find out your loopholes and mistakes which led to your failure and learn from them.

By the way was this your 1st attempt?

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
Re:collision inquiry
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2005, 10:02:10 AM »
kinetic theory of gas points that out as well, that max velocity occurs after collision (assuming elastic collision)
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Sponsored Links