April 29, 2024, 11:01:35 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Two questions About purification of organic compounds  (Read 2758 times)

Offline spiderman1441

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Two questions About purification of organic compounds
« on: November 03, 2006, 01:04:44 PM »
Hellow

i'm a new member here , actually your forum made me amaizing so much , so i registerd

I have two questions about purification of organic compounds , in one of the experiments that i did at lab. i purified an organic substance by using a sauitable solvent , after experiment the pure substsnce parcipitated , the question is : why the impurities didn't parcipitate with the pure substance?

The second question: please give me practical methods about how do we dry the pure substance?

Offline Yggdrasil

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +485/-21
  • Physical Biochemist
Re: Two questions About purification of organic compounds
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2006, 04:26:33 PM »
1)  It's hard to say since I don't know the nature of your compound and the impurities, but the impurities probably had a higher solubility in your solvent than your product.  Furthermore, the impurities are at much lower concentrations, so they are less likely to precipitate than your more highly concentrated product.

2)  The methods differ by what solvent you are trying to remove, but you can try heating with a hot plate on low heat and blowing an airstream over your compound, or just let it sit under a heat lamp for a while.

Sponsored Links