April 27, 2024, 11:20:37 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: spaceship one  (Read 5762 times)

Corvettaholic

spaceship one
« on: November 16, 2004, 11:47:16 AM »
We all know that Spaceship One won the Ansari X prize, right? Well I was just rethinking about rocketry again (big surprise), and I'm wondering how their engine worked. Basically, it used tire rubber and laughing gas (nitrous oxide). Both of these things are used for my car, but for other purposes. How can burning rubber generate enough thrust to get into space? I'm just curious as to the chemistry behind it  :)

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
Re:spaceship one
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2004, 08:14:08 PM »
the olympus engine that powered the concorde could be in your history. there's a good book on it. It introduces the entire history of civilian supersonic flight and few chapters in layman terms on how the olympus engine that powers the famous concorde. The book's entitled "supersonic pioneer: the concorde"
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Sponsored Links