April 19, 2024, 06:14:33 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Calculating the Bass Interaction Barrier  (Read 5763 times)

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
Calculating the Bass Interaction Barrier
« on: November 06, 2006, 09:41:37 PM »
So we talked about Interaction Barriers previously, but I didn't really mention how one would go about and calculate it. I won't go in details on how it is done, but I'll show you all the equations you'll need to calculate them yourself. The formula I'm using is called the Bass Interaction Formula and is taken mainly from Nuclear Physics A231 (1974) 45-46.

Where Zt and Zp are the number of protons in the target and projectile respectively. e2 is the familiar e2 which equals 1.44 MeV*fm. d (range parameter) is 1.35fm and Dint (interaction distance) is 2.70fm, but these 2 values are the adjustable parameters. r12 is given as , where Ap and At are the mass numbers of the projectile and target nucleus respectively, and where r0 is 1.07fm. Finally x is the ratio of the coulomb force with the nuclear force and is calculated in the equation below.

Where as is the surface constant from the semi empirical mass equation and is taken as 17.0 MeV.

Bass also has an other equation named after him often referred to as the Bass Fusion Barrier Equation and we'll get to that in the next couple of days. Hope this is useful to someone out there.

Note1: Using a calculator, the calculated barriers seem to vary from 0.1MeV for light projectiles to 0.8MeV for Krypton. When I only use 3 significant figures in the calculation it did a much better job replicating his calculated barriers in the paper.

Mitch
« Last Edit: May 09, 2007, 12:33:28 AM by Mitch »
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Sponsored Links