March 29, 2024, 11:18:01 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Why is it necessary to keep electrodes apart?  (Read 5341 times)

Crystal

Why is it necessary to keep electrodes apart?
« on: November 16, 2004, 03:15:08 PM »
Why is it necessary to keep electrodes apart during electrolysis? The only reason i think of is to be sure that the products do not come into contact with each other. Could you please help me to understand it in more detail.
   Than you

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +106/-23
  • I am NOT a freak.
Re:Why is it necessary to keep electrodes apart?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2004, 03:25:29 PM »
Why is it necessary to keep electrodes apart during electrolysis? The only reason i think of is to be sure that the products do not come into contact with each other. Could you please help me to understand it in more detail.
   Than you

You pretty much have it right there.   ;D  You don't want the products you are getting to immediately react with each other, as that would defeat the whole purpose of the electrolysis.  It can also be VERY dangerous if the products interact.  (Such as the electrolysis of molten sodium chloride, or hydrogen fluoride).  Also, if the two electrodes are physically touching each other, that will complete a circuit and no electrolysis will occur because the ions in solution will not be part of the circuit.
"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

Crystal

Re:Why is it necessary to keep electrodes apart?
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2004, 03:37:57 PM »
Thanx 4 your help :)

Sponsored Links