April 24, 2024, 09:07:37 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Chemistry Handbook recommendations  (Read 4930 times)

Offline eTux

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Chemistry Handbook recommendations
« on: November 01, 2006, 03:28:35 PM »
Hi,

First of all, sorry if I've missed a similar topic and thus created a duplicate, and if this is not the right place to post I'm of course ok with the thread being moved elsewhere.

As for my query - I'm a university freshman (studying chemistry, obviously), and so far still don't have a decent handbook with constants and... well, the usual stuff you should find in one, and as the difficulty and demands of laboratory experiments increase, so does the need for a handbook.

While I have tried to find one in the faculty's library (unsuccessfully, since none of the exemplars are available), I gathered it'd be a good investment to buy a recent one for use in all the further semesters and possibly research beyond that. As far as the online options go I've looked at this and this one (and the respective cheaper versions on e-bay) but since I haven't had experience with this kind of stuff before, I wondered if anyone would have any recommendations for me or comment on the aforementioned choices?

Thanks in advance,
e

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
Re: Chemistry Handbook recommendations
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2006, 09:25:39 PM »
The NIST Web Book of Chemistry is good place to start if you want chemical data at the click of the mouse. Although I am not a chemistry undergraduate (chemical engineering actually), the Aldrich Catalog, the Merck Index and the CRC Handbook are very good resources to find physical data for organic compounds. As a chemical engineer, I am more concerned with equations for heat capacity, viscosity and boiling point, so Perry's Handbook for Chemical Engineers is a wonderful reference.
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Sponsored Links