April 25, 2024, 01:48:34 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Equilibrium Constant  (Read 3673 times)

Offline alex

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Equilibrium Constant
« on: November 10, 2006, 05:18:00 AM »
My chemistry teacher has told us that for the reversible reaction: aA +bB <---------> cC + dD the equilibrium constant for the reaction can be calculated using the following equation:
 Kc = [C]c[D]d / [A]ab
He then said that 'the proof is faulty but the answer is correct.' Could someone explain what is faulty about the proof.

Thanks

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Equilibrium Constant
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2006, 06:30:58 AM »
What proof of what?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline alex

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2006, 06:42:52 AM »
I got the impression that he was saying that the equilibrium constant for the reaction, that is calculated using the equation, is the correct value however there is actually an error in the calculations which are done to arrive at the answer.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2006, 06:58:11 AM »
Perhaps he was referring to the kinetic derivation that is faulty, but that's not the only way of arriving to the final expression.

However, the equation - as given - IS faulty by itself, as it contains concentrations. It should contain activities. For very diluted solutions it doesn't matter (both are identical), but for 0.01M solution of salts (ie solutions containing ions) the difference starts to play important role, for 0.1M solutions it can't be neglected and for 1M solution results can be completely off.

http://www.chembuddy.com/?left=pH-calculation&right=ionic-strength-activity-coefficients
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline alex

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2006, 07:06:39 AM »

the equation - as given - IS faulty by itself, as it contains concentrations. It should contain activities.

I think this is what he was referring to. Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links