April 18, 2024, 10:36:09 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Temperature and Glass  (Read 4776 times)

Offline HelloHelp100

• Mole Snacks: +0/-2
Temperature and Glass
« on: November 10, 2006, 11:15:15 AM »
At what temperature does glass shatter?

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
Re: Temperature and Glass
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2006, 11:22:14 AM »
shatter or melt?
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Offline DevaDevil

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +55/-9
  • postdoc at ANL
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2006, 04:06:41 PM »
And what type of glass?

Normal (window-glass), Pyrex, quartz...

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2006, 07:22:08 PM »
"Glass" (it's too broad of a term) will shatter at any temperature. Just take a hammer or other hard object to it with enough force.
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Offline Yggdrasil

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +485/-21
  • Physical Biochemist
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2006, 12:32:37 AM »
Temperature won't cause glass to shatter, but heating will.

This sounds contradictory, but here's the explanation.  Glass (especially beakers and flasks) can shatter when heating because heating causes the glass to expand.  If the heating is done rapidly and non-uniformly, some areas will expand more than others, putting stress on various areas of the glass.  If this stress gets too strong, it can cause the glass to crack or shatter.  This is especially troublesome for beakers and flasks because of their thin walls (low resistance to stresses) and large surface areas (making them more susceptible to uneven heating).

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2006, 11:02:59 PM »
Also remember lab glassware tends to be heated and cooled constantly. The glass will go from room temperature to several 100°F in some applications the cool back down to room temperature. This constant heating and cooling does exactly what Yggdrasil said, and this causes the glass to become more brittle or in some cases to flat out shatter if the glass isn't meant for the temperatures it's at.
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Offline mike

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2006, 07:06:00 PM »
"Glass" (it's too broad of a term) will shatter at any temperature. Just take a hammer or other hard object to it with enough force.

I love this answer  :D
There is no science without fancy, and no art without facts.

Sponsored Links