April 28, 2024, 04:58:48 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Some thermochemistry questions.  (Read 6649 times)

Offline lilmul123

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
Some thermochemistry questions.
« on: November 16, 2006, 05:35:10 PM »
Hi, I have a couple thermochemistry questions, and I would love some help on how to do some.  Here are two examples of problems I have.  Can anyone please explain how to go about doing them?  Thanks!

The overall reaction in commercial heat packs can be represented as shown below.

4 Fe(s) + 3 O2(g) 2 Fe2O3(s)      H = -1652 kJ

(a) How much heat is released when 3.34 mol iron is reacted with excess O2?

and..

In a coffee-cup calorimeter, 1.60 g of NH4NO3 is mixed with 78.0 g of water at an initial temperature of 25.00°C. After dissolution of the salt, the final temperature of the calorimeter contents is 23.83°C. Assuming the solution has a heat capacity of 4.18 J/°Cg and assuming no heat loss to the calorimeter, calculate the enthalpy change for the dissolution of NH4NO3 in units of kJ/mol.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Some thermochemistry questions.
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2006, 05:49:41 PM »
Please read forum rules.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline lilmul123

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2006, 05:56:14 PM »
I don't see how exactly explaining how I was doing them will help.  I know for sure I was doing it wrong, but here goes nothing.

For the first question, I tried multiplying the moles of Fe by the enthalpy of the reaction.  That was wrong.  I looked in my Zumdahl book, I was pretty sure that was how it was done, but it's not.

For two, I tried to use q=mC(DT) to find q.  I thought the problem may have been with my masses.  So I tried 78 grams as a mass, 1.6 as a mass, and a combination of the two as a mass; all of them were wrong. 

Also, for both, how I determine whether the answer will be negative or not?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2006, 06:12:43 PM »
I don't see how exactly explaining how I was doing them will help.  I know for sure I was doing it wrong, but here goes nothing.

At least we know you have tried :)

For the first question, I tried multiplying the moles of Fe by the enthalpy of the reaction.  That was wrong.  I looked in my Zumdahl book, I was pretty sure that was how it was done, but it's not.

4 moles of iron per reaction as stated - you are using 3.34.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline lilmul123

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2006, 06:28:14 PM »
I'm using 3.34 mol because that's what question A is asking for. 

See, I'm totally confused and frustrated!   ???

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2006, 07:00:48 PM »
For the first question, I tried multiplying the moles of Fe by the enthalpy of the reaction.

If you will use 4 moles of Fe, you will get -1652 kJ. If you will use 1 mole of Fe, you will get 1/4 of -1652 kJ. You are using 3.34 moles...

Offline lilmul123

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2006, 10:37:55 PM »
For the first question, I tried multiplying the moles of Fe by the enthalpy of the reaction.

If you will use 4 moles of Fe, you will get -1652 kJ. If you will use 1 mole of Fe, you will get 1/4 of -1652 kJ. You are using 3.34 moles...

that makes perfect sense!  thank you.

now...if anyone could help with the calorimetry problem, that would make me burst in tears of happiness

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2006, 03:50:45 AM »
For two, I tried to use q=mC(DT) to find q.  I thought the problem may have been with my masses.  So I tried 78 grams as a mass, 1.6 as a mass, and a combination of the two as a mass; all of them were wrong.

You should use sum of both masses. Show more of what you did.

Sponsored Links