April 26, 2024, 01:55:21 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Will diamond spontaneously decompose into graphite?  (Read 15563 times)

Offline Howard610

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Will diamond spontaneously decompose into graphite?
« on: November 17, 2006, 01:40:32 PM »
I have a question in the Free Energy section of our textbook that is giving me problems. Here goes "When carbon and oxygen combine to form carbon dioxide, the reaction releases more free energy when diamond is used as a source of carbon than when graphite is used as the carbon source. Based on this information, will diamond spontaneously decompose into graphite? If it does why do we not see our diamond jewelry become pencil points? If it does not, then does this imply that diamonds will last forever?

thanks

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
Re: Will diamond spontaneously decompose into graphite?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2006, 01:44:58 PM »
Read Forum Rules: http://www.chemicalforums.com/index.php?page=forumrules
You need to tell us what you think first.
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline Howard610

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2006, 01:51:07 PM »
Well i know that Diamonds will not decay to graphite. Based on previous chapters in chem class, i know that Diamond's structure differs from Graphite, Diamond has more carbon-carbon bonds thus is the reason for the its high melting temp. It takes a lot of energy to break all the bonds in Diamond. But,as we are just starting the chapter on free energy, i dont see the relationship.

Offline Yggdrasil

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +485/-21
  • Physical Biochemist
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2006, 03:44:39 PM »
Here's something to think about.  There is a difference between thermodynamic stabilty and kinetic stability.  As Mitch puts it

Quote from: Mitch's sig

Let me explain further:

For us to observe a reaction, it must satisfy two criteria:
1)  The reaction must be spontaneous or we must supply enough energy for the reaction to be spontaneous (i.e. we don't see water decomposing into H2 and O2 unless we apply a current to the water).
2)  The reaction must proceed at a reasonable rate (i.e. if the compound decomposes one molecule every year, the reaction for all intents and purposes is not happening).

So, given the information you provided and the above explanation is the decomposition of diamond to graphite thermodynamically favorable (i.e. satisfying criterion 1)?  Is the decomposition of diamond kinetically favorable (i.e. satisfying criterion 2)?  Therefore, will we see diamond decompose to graphite?

Offline mdlhvn

• Mole Snacks: +5/-2
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2006, 11:23:10 PM »
Here's something to think about.  There is a difference between thermodynamic stabilty and kinetic stability.  As Mitch puts it
    From the thermaldynamic point of view, a reaction is spontaneous if its free energy, or deltaG<0. There are many deltaG<0 reactions which canot actually occur without providing initial energy such as the burning of carbon, hydrogen.., the oxidation of some metals...The reason is the refusal of kinetic.

For us to observe a reaction, it must satisfy two criteria:
1)  The reaction must be spontaneous or we must supply enough energy for the reaction to be spontaneous (i.e. we don't see water decomposing into H2 and O2 unless we apply a current to the water).

It is not totally exact because the decomposition of water is not a spontaneous reaction. We have to provide energy continuously to make this occur. If you cut off the current, the reaction stops.

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2006, 02:56:49 AM »
Applying a current takes the chemical reaction out of thermodynamic equilibrium. Probably best not to use that example for a new student leaning the finer nuances between thermodynamic stability and chemical reactivity.
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Sponsored Links