March 28, 2024, 05:18:39 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: blown cathode ray monitor tube  (Read 5096 times)

Offline tatiana30241

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
blown cathode ray monitor tube
« on: November 26, 2006, 10:25:59 PM »
Hello. Can anyone tell me what gases are released from a monitor picture tube when it blows? I think I had this happen to me yesterday while installing a new monitor. I turned it on, and half of the screen (from the middle down) was black, and there was an abundance of very noxious fumes. I wasn't able to reenter my office until this afternoon. I know these things contain all sorts of nasty substances (lead, cadmium, hexavalent chromium, etc.), but what exactly are the fumes? Thanks in advance.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: blown cathode ray monitor tube
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2006, 03:55:48 AM »
I doubt it was blowing CRT, more likely high voltage unit, or even just power unit - and the smoke was that of burnt insulation. No heavy metals, but can be stinking as hell.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
Re: blown cathode ray monitor tube
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2006, 07:18:21 PM »
I believe cathode ray tubes are vacuums. Therefore no gas was released. I have to agree with Borek.
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Sponsored Links