April 26, 2024, 06:28:34 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Global warming!  (Read 17458 times)

Offline Extra love

• Mole Snacks: +0/-17
Global warming!
« on: November 26, 2006, 11:12:52 PM »
I am doing a project about "Global warming is a hoax" . We have to find the information about it! And write the essay about it! Does any body know where can i get this information!? Thank you!

Here is the full title: " Global warming is money grabbing hoax because the earth is naturally getting warmer. Canada needs to focus on the Albert oil sands because it is a great source of revenue, and there is no serious damage to the environment"

So I have to find some information to prove that! And write a article about 5 pages long! *delete me*
« Last Edit: November 29, 2006, 12:16:06 AM by Extra love »

Offline mike

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
Re: Global warming!
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2006, 12:48:15 AM »
Well hoax is spelt hoax, so you could try searching for this instead of hox.
There is no science without fancy, and no art without facts.

Offline lemonoman

• Atmospheric
  • Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +71/-8
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2006, 04:05:24 AM »
It's easy to write an article like that, all you have to do is ignore scientific facts.

Offline Yggdrasil

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +485/-21
  • Physical Biochemist
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2006, 04:22:05 AM »
There is clear scientific evidence that global warming/climate change is occurring, and I don't think there's much debate about this in the scientific community.  The issue of whether human action action accounts for most of this warming is a slightly more contentious issue, but even then it's rare to find a reputable scientist who can argue that global warming is due mostly to natural forces and is occurring independently of human action.

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2006, 05:21:38 PM »
I am doing a project about "Global warming is a hox" . We have to find the information about it! And write the essay about it! Does any body know where can i get this information!? Thank you!

I got a better title for your project: global whining

"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2006, 06:48:29 PM »
I like geodome's title for the essay.

I have to agree with Yggdrasil. From everything I've heard it's generally accepted that Earth is warming. It's the debate about how much humans play a role in it.

It's easy to write an article like that, all you have to do is ignore scientific facts.

You hit the nail on the head.

Also there is this amazing website. It allows you to find things on the internet. Here is a link to that amazing website.
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Offline lemonoman

• Atmospheric
  • Chemist
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2006, 09:37:33 PM »
Actually, on Friday, I'm going to be part of a mock expert-panel, and we'll be discussing Climate Change.  I'm tempted to play devil's-advocate and present the argument that the climate is not changing, just to spark interesting debate...I will keep you posted :)

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2006, 11:41:47 PM »
Is there actually a scientist that doesn't think the Globe is warming?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2006, 01:19:28 AM by Mitch »
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline lemonoman

• Atmospheric
  • Chemist
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2006, 12:10:44 AM »
Colorado State University's Bill Gray, I'm told (via internet articles), is one of a few who believe Global Warming isn't all it's cracked up to be.  I wish I had more information for you

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2006, 07:45:41 AM »
If you want to do the hoax theory - Do a google search on
Rush Limbaugh global warming

Some  estimate that Rush is the sole source of 1/3 of the people’s news and information in the USA.

Note that I did not say he is correct, just that he is a source people use.

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Retired Staff
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2006, 03:43:53 PM »
Actually, on Friday, I'm going to be part of a mock expert-panel, and we'll be discussing Climate Change.

LOL. I will be doing something similar in January. I will be acting as the director for the Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) for Imperial College's Model UN Conference. The agenda is the "The Question of Climate Change".

Here are some links for your research:

http://www.ipcc.ch
http://www.hm-treasury.gov.uk/independent_reviews/stern_review_economics_climate_change/sternreview_index.cfm
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Offline Extra love

• Mole Snacks: +0/-17
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2006, 12:19:56 AM »
Thank you guys! I posted the full title for you guys to look again! I hope you can give me more informations! Thank you again!

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Retired Staff
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2006, 09:32:01 AM »
Here is the full title: " Global warming is money grabbing hoax because the earth is naturally getting warmer. Canada needs to focus on the Albert oil sands because it is a great source of revenue, and there is no serious damage to the environment"

Sounds like an oil company's agenda :P

I think the way you can approach this is to find ways to doubt the current scientific analysis, such as checking the credentials of the analysts and understand their analytical approach. For example, the Stern Review assumes the worst-case scenario, so you might question whether assuming the worst case is appropriate by using some data which suggests that the worst case scenario is not going to happen. If you have economics background, you might be able to question the conceptual assumption used in predicting the catastrophic nature of global warming.

Offline P-man

• Mole Snacks: +13/-17
  • Join Smart People for a better future...
    • My Website
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2006, 06:57:00 PM »
About the scientists believing global warming yada yada... in Al Gore's movie "An Inconvenient Truth" he says something about a peer reviewed scientific article about global warming reviewed by more that 600 scientists and like 590 of them agreed that global warming was happening.
Pierre.

Fight for the protection of our envrionmenta and habitat: http://www.wearesmartpeople.com

Offline P

• Mole Snacks: +64/-15
  • I am what I am
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2006, 06:26:10 AM »
600 scientists and like 590 of them agreed that global warming was happening.

Yes - no one can deny the fact that it is warming  -  it is the cause that is in debate - Humans or not? Where are we exactly in our latest 10,000 year cycle of going through ice ages - are we on the way out or on the way in??   Anyone know?
Tonight I’m going to party like it’s on sale for $19.99!

- Apu Nahasapeemapetilon

Sponsored Links