March 28, 2024, 06:27:12 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Fructose and Galactose Production  (Read 4978 times)

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
Fructose and Galactose Production
« on: November 27, 2006, 10:01:28 PM »
This is a random question I was thinking about...

What causes fructose and galactose to be produced instead of glucose?

Mainly I just want to know what is going on for those 2 sugars to be produced. There must be a difference compared to glucose production to cause the different isomers. I know it can't just be a random occurrence here and there when you consider that sugar is sucrose, and milk has lactose.
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Offline Yggdrasil

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +485/-21
  • Physical Biochemist
Re: Fructose and Galactose Production
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2006, 01:36:08 AM »
In humans, both fructose and galactose can be obtained from diet.  They can also be synthesized from glucose.  The enzyme UDP-Gal-4-epimerase can convert a nucleoside-activated glucose (UDP-Glc) to UDP-Gal.  The epimerase works by oxidizing the equatorial OH on carbon 4 to a ketone, then stereospecifically reducing the ketone to a hydroxyl in the axial position.

Fructose is made from glucose in glycolysis.  The enzyme, glucophosphate isomerase converts glucose-6-phosphate to fructose-6-phosphate.  Here, the reaction proceeds through an enol intermediate.

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
Re: Fructose and Galactose Production
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2006, 09:43:10 PM »
Thank you Yggdrasil.
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Sponsored Links