March 28, 2024, 07:41:21 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Water to Wine  (Read 15140 times)

Offline Bakegaku

• Mole Snacks: +20/-5
  • Hydrogen peroxide is my miracle cure to everything
Re: Water to Wine
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2006, 04:24:50 PM »
The formed HCl can easily be neutralized with NaOH or another base, so it could be suitable....also, by removing a reaction product, you can move the equilibrium to the product side.

All right.  That makes it seem feasible  ;D
"True knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing"
-Socrates

"I see, I forget.  I hear, I remember.  I do, I understand"
-Confucius

"Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet."
- Albert Einstein?

"American cartoons place characters in situations; anime
places situations around characters.  Anime characters
are not like fictional characters but more like fictional
people; their actions stem directly from their personalities,
and not just as a means to move the story's plot
forward.  We are made to sympathize with them, and
not simply be entertained by them."
~John Oppliger~

Offline lemonoman

• Atmospheric
  • Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +71/-8
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2006, 07:44:41 PM »
Just a note....that if ethanol syntheses were easy and cheap, more than a few companies would already be in the business...but as of right now, obviously the cheapest way to get it is distill it from corn and stuff

If someone wants to invent a catalyst or enzyme that turns natural gas + water into ethanol really cheap, then by all means, become a millionaire ;)

Offline Gibber

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2006, 02:45:26 PM »
"Just a note....that if ethanol syntheses were easy and cheap, more than a few companies would already be in the business...but as of right now, obviously the cheapest way to get it is distill it from corn and stuff

If someone wants to invent a catalyst or enzyme that turns natural gas + water into ethanol really cheap, then by all means, become a millionaire Wink"

Haha. Thanks all for the insight.  If HP or anyone else has more info. on where that process or processes similar to that are being done please tell me(if they are done and everyone doesn't use plants).  Or if anyone has information about where research is being done on this topic I would be interested. 

thanks.

Offline HP

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +33/-5
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2006, 03:18:34 PM »
xpp

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2006, 10:45:53 PM »
This topic got me curious so I looked up ethanol on wiki.

Apparently the ethylene hydration method was at one point used for industrial purposes.

This may be worth a look although it is still a wikipedia article. It's talking about possible techniques for making ethanol.
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Offline Gibber

« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2006, 11:52:24 AM »
Very cool! It's pretty easy to find information from this base.  Thanks all.  Here's a couple links for anyone else who is interested.  These links are less what the science of the process is, and more what the history is/what is happening at a business level.

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0EIN/is_2005_Sept_13/ai_n15386515
http://www.googlesyndicatedsearch.com/u/univwisc?q=xethanol(this one is a pdf)

If anyone else knows/finds something of particular interest feel free to post it, I will read it.

Offline Custos

• Mole Snacks: +32/-0
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2007, 11:34:21 PM »
Sugar and yeast are cheap ingredients that you can add to water to generate alcohol. Mind you, that particular reaction is well known and has been used for thousands of years.  ;)

Offline chinaxxx

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2007, 07:50:02 AM »
very good
wo unkonw
hello

Offline AhmedEzatAlzawalaty

• Mole Snacks: +4/-31
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2007, 05:18:37 PM »
you wanna convert water into wine ? i think this wodnt be possible as i think what in your mind is without involving carbon source.Biologically and simply saccahromyces do this themselves  all what you have to do is to feed them with glucose and water and they are gonna convert them into alcohol.

Sponsored Links