I just want to confirm a few anyways with you guys. I did them all on my own, but I want to make sure they're correct, I almost understand the unit so these questions weren't so bad, but still...confirming is good =)
1) Galvanic Cell notation: copper electrode in copper (II) sulfate solution and iron electrode in iron (II) nitrate sol'n.
I got: Fe(s) | Fe-2(aq) || Cu-2 | Cu (s)
My own question: how do we know which one gets reduced and which one gets oxidized? Do I look to see whether which one has the lowest Standard Reduction, and that would be the anode?
2) Shorthand representation using galvanic cell notation:
(aq) + 5e-
Oxidization: 2I- (aq) > I2 + 2e-
Anyways, I got
(s) | I-(aq)
(aq) | Pt
3) Standard cell potential for Cu2+(aq) + Mg(s) > Mg2+(aq) + Cu(s)
Pb2+(aq) + Zn(s) > Pb(s) + Zn2+(aq)
I got 0.636V
4) 1M aqueous solution of NaBr is being electrolyzed...predict the products
So, for the possibilities and their Ecell: i got
1) Br and hydrogen: -1.48V
2) Br and Na: -3.777
3) Na and Oxygen: -3.526
4) Oxygen and Hydrogen: -1.229
Please confirm the individual cell potentials as well, not just the final product that I'm predicting.. which is Oxygen and Hydrogen.
One last question.
5) Current needed to deposit Nickel (10.0g) from a soln of NiSO4 (time: 40 mins)
I got 13.67Amps.
Thanks in advance!
(I did it all on my own