March 28, 2024, 02:18:54 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Chemistry Career related question  (Read 6102 times)

Offline xk9x

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Chemistry Career related question
« on: December 12, 2006, 06:06:24 PM »
Hello all. I'd like to start off saying a little bit about myself.
I'm 16, and I enjoy chemistry a lot. It is by far my favorite and one of my best subjects. I do very well in school and currently have a 4.0, and am ranked 3rd in my grade.  I have taken Chemistry I, currently taking Nuclear/Organic Chemistry, and plan on taking AP Chemistry next year (senior year). I am often asked what I want to do when I get older, and to be honest, I'm really not 100% certain. I think I would really like to pursue a career relating to chemistry. Forensics really interests me, and I think I would enjoy doing that for a living. Recently, I have been thinking about pharmaceuticals.

The questions I ask are this:

How is the schooling for forensics and pharmacy? Is it very challenging? Is it the kind of career I could make enough money to support myself and live a comfortable life? Are there any other chemistry related careers that one might suggest?

I greatly appreciate all and any input.  ;D

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
Re: Chemistry Career related question
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2006, 06:15:46 PM »
You could go into forensics or pharmacy with a chemistry degree, so I'd suggest getting one of those - it keeps your chemistry options open. Also, higher education may give you a clearer idea of what you like most about chemistry.
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Offline deadally

• Mole Snacks: +1/-2
  • I'm a mole!
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2006, 08:06:42 PM »
I agree, my professors insist that if you want to do anything like forensics, pharamceutical sciences, or the like, you don't need to do the specialized "Pre-" programs.  Plus you do keep your options

I am currently looking into going into Graduate school to be a Medicinal chemist and perhaps work in R&D for Drug Discovery.  I'm a junior in college

Had you asked me when I was a junior in high school, I would have said no way to chemistry, even though I did well

If you had asked me as a senior, I would have said "Yeah, I'm going into chemistry"

These past two years of college have taught me quite a bit about the science itself, and I discovered Molecular Modeling, a branch of research I had never even heard of before I got here.

It's pretty much what I'm best at, though

In essence, keep your options and your mind open!  Try your best once you go to college to get some work experience.  A grand opportunity may just show itself.

You have a lot of time to decide even once you're there, so read up and study hard :)

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2006, 09:27:07 PM »
http://www.chemicalforums.com/index.php?topic=11924.new#new

That topic has some statistics and things that may help you get a better idea.

Read and post at this website. I've learnt a lot about chemistry from this site.
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Sponsored Links