April 27, 2024, 12:02:32 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Why is aniline a weaker base than ammonia?  (Read 17931 times)

Offline slayer

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Why is aniline a weaker base than ammonia?
« on: December 13, 2006, 12:00:54 AM »
I only got half credit for this problem and I want to know what concept I overlooked

Aniline = H2NC6H5 has a resonance circle

NH3 is polar and has one set of lone pairs

this was my explanation:
Although both N's are = in electronegativity, (specifically the N) the N in aniline will keep trying to attach itself to the resonance circle. (this part was underlined by the professor to reword). In contrast, the NH3 is more accepting. (here she asked "accepting what?")

more attraction = stronger base, therefore ammonia is a stronger base.

what did i miss?

Offline Ψ×Ψ

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +8/-4
  • ooh, shiny!
    • carbon-based curiosities
Re: Why is aniline a weaker base than ammonia?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2006, 12:09:18 AM »
In order to be a base, a compound has to be able to take a proton off something else.  The proton-accepting ability of a base is related to the stability of its conjugate acid, because if the conjugate acid isn't decently stable, the base can't steal protons very effectively.  Ammonia can accept a proton without changing too much of anything.  The lone pair on the nitrogen in aniline is part of the pi system (which is what I think your explanation was getting at).  If it takes on a proton, that lone pair is no longer available for resonance use.  Does that make sense?

Offline slayer

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2006, 12:48:27 AM »
so the resonance will break apart if the aniline accepts a proton?

Offline Yggdrasil

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +485/-21
  • Physical Biochemist
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2006, 12:51:29 AM »
You will lose any resonance structures where there is a double bond to the nitrogen.

Offline slayer

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2006, 01:13:14 AM »
The proton-accepting ability of a base is related to the stability of its conjugate acid, because if the conjugate acid isn't decently stable, the base can't steal protons very effectively.

how is a solution's ability to create a stable conjugate acid relate to a resonance structure? Are resonance structures incapable of creating stable conjugate acids? and if so, why?

Offline Yggdrasil

• Retired Staff
  • Physical Biochemist
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2006, 01:31:00 AM »
In general, conjugation/delocalization of electrons lowers their potential energies, making them more stable.  If you remove an p-orbital from the conjugated pi system, you are lowering the amount of delocalization and thus raising the energies of the pi-system orbitals, which is unfavorable.

In this case it isn't really the stability of the conjugate acid that matters, but the stability of the acid relative to the base.  Because the base has more delocalization than its conjugate acid, the conversion from base -> acid will be disfavored relative to say aminocyclohexane where no such loss of delocalization occurs.

Offline slayer

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2006, 01:44:29 PM »
So, resonance circles, such as the one in aniline become exceedingly more unstable when protons are accepted as opposed to ammonia. The N is the same in electronegativity but in aniline, the N does not want to accept protons because it keeps trying to double bond itself to the resonance.

Does this expanation cover it?

Offline Yggdrasil

• Retired Staff
  • Physical Biochemist
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2006, 02:46:14 PM »
That sounds like a reasonable explanation to me.

Sponsored Links