April 24, 2024, 08:59:14 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: yttrium barium copper oxide  (Read 9765 times)

Offline hopeful

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
yttrium barium copper oxide
« on: December 13, 2006, 07:35:58 PM »
i have been looking for a disk or this superconductor in order to perform the super magnet levitation experiment(where you cool a superconductor until it has superconductor properties and then a super magnet can be suspended above the disc.)

Any information would be great, thank you

Offline lemonoman

• Atmospheric
  • Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +71/-8
Re: yttrium barium copper oxide
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2006, 07:55:01 PM »
Make one yourself : http://www.ornl.gov/info/reports/m/ornlm3063r1/pt7.html

I can't find anything about buying them....strange, usually google ads pop up offering stuff for sale when you do a google search...but not this time :P

Offline enahs

• 16-92-15-68 32-7-53-92-16
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +206/-44
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2006, 07:56:39 PM »
YBa2Cu3O7
It is a perovskite ceramic.
The effect you are referring to is called the Meissner effect, FYI.

http://superconductors.org/Play.htm
That has a lot of lists. I know this specific one can be obtained from Colorado Supercondcutors Inc.(a link to their site is on the page I referred to earlier). I link to you that site, because you might be able to find it cheaper elsewhere/another kit that interest you more.

Note, you need liquid nitrogen to get them past their critical point.

Are you an instructor, or is this for your own person gain?

I devised a scheme to make this superconductor before my self personally, along with another perosvkite ceramic that is a superconductor (that uses the same method)r.
If you have access to a hydraulic press capable of a pressure ~25,000 pounds per square inch and a kiln that can reach temperature of ~800OC and sustain a high temperature for at least 5 hours you can make them. That is much more fun and interesting then just a kit.

Anyway, if you do have the equipment and are interested in making it (along with a Bi2CaSR2Cu2O9) superconductors (and of course can obviously get a hold of the elements in some form ) I will be happy to write up the method.

Edit: Bah, I see lemonoman posted while I was typing mine up! drats! And he had a link to make one too! Darn you!

Offline lemonoman

• Atmospheric
  • Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +71/-8
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2006, 08:02:33 PM »
Edit: Bah, I see lemonoman posted while I was typing mine up! drats! And he had a link to make one too! Darn you!

I also PMed him offering him an excerpt from my 3rd year Chem Lab Manual....we got to make this YBCO superconductor for one of our experiments!  Hydraulic press, high-temp furnace and everything!

Offline enahs

• 16-92-15-68 32-7-53-92-16
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +206/-44
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2006, 08:08:21 PM »

I also PMed him offering him an excerpt from my 3rd year Chem Lab Manual....we got to make this YBCO superconductor for one of our experiments!  Hydraulic press, high-temp furnace and everything!

In one of my PCHEM classes a few years back, we used one of the kits to determine the critical temperature. I was a little disappointed with the experiment as it was to simple for the class, so my professor challenged me to devise a simple scheme other students could use to make a superconductor. After a little research I settled on the YBr one and another. It was quite fun and interesting to figure out, and rewarding.

But boy, my professor should have never left me alone with that hydraulic press and all that liquid nitrogen!!!

Liquid nitrogen = fun
Hydraulic press = fun
Liquid nitrogen + hydraulic press = (que Homer Simpson drooling)

Offline hopeful

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2006, 06:30:09 PM »
Thanks so much for the help, i was considering making one because my school does have a kiln that reaches those temperatures, but i later found out (as you said) that you need a press. Unfortunately i don't have any means to gain access to a hydraulic press so i have to just purchase a piece. Again, thank you so much for your help.

Offline pantone159

• Mole Herder
  • Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +54/-6
  • A mole of moles doesn't smell so nice...
    • Go Texas Soccer!!
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2006, 10:04:15 PM »
I got to make one too, back in school 15 years ago.  We (me and my lab partner) used both a kiln/oven and a press.  To make the ring shape, we used a stainless steel form, which we got to machine ourselves.  The press didn't look all that exceptional, it was a tabletop thing, I kind of expected something bigger.  I don't remember the details much, however (or have any notes/links).  We made it superconducting with liquid N2, then kept a current running for several weeks (verified by magnetic field measurements).  It only gave out when one weekend neither of us came into the lab to refresh the LN2 and it all evaporated.  In between, we went to the closest convenience store to shop for all the fruit we could find, highly recommended.   :)

Sponsored Links