April 28, 2024, 03:00:45 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Stability of Oxygen Gas  (Read 8675 times)

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
Stability of Oxygen Gas
« on: May 21, 2005, 05:54:17 AM »
This is a spin-off from the discussion thread on Nitrogen. MO Theory predicts that oxygen is a di-radical and this agrees with observation that liquid oxygen is paramagnetic. Oxygen, despite being a radical, still exists abundantly in the earth atmosphere in its elemental form. Why?
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re:Stability of Oxygen Gas
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2005, 09:07:04 AM »
There is an equilibrium between oxygen being produced by plants and being used for CO2 production. Kill all plants, wait some time (no idea how long, but oxygen cycle is probably known well enough), problem of abundant oxygen dissappears.

The other answer to your question (highly related) is that while oxygen is highly reactive kinetics of the oxidation in low temperatures (0-20 deg C) is low enough to allow oxygen level build-up in the atmosfere.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2005, 09:09:50 AM by Borek »
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
Re:Stability of Oxygen Gas
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2005, 06:10:08 PM »
One thing about CO2 is that rain helps to remove some of it from the air. It also removes some other things. That is a thought to keep in mind.
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Sponsored Links