April 19, 2024, 02:33:11 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: good book for me and limpet, or maybe limpet and I!  (Read 11175 times)

Corvettaholic

good book for me and limpet, or maybe limpet and I!
« on: November 23, 2004, 05:42:54 PM »
http://www.thinkgeek.com/books/nonfiction/70b5/

I already ordered it, should be here in 3 or 4 days. I figure I can make one of the "things" and then once it works, I can apply my own modifications. Like scale it a lot bigger.

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
Re:good book for me and limpet, or maybe limpet and I!
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2004, 06:59:41 PM »
It's in our essential books section.
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline limpet chicken

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +49/-27
  • Vote Limpet for supreme emperor of the new order
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2004, 09:40:21 PM »
Let me know what you think of it when you get the book, if its any good I might buy a copy, I am all for building handheld energy weapons of localised mass destruction :)
The light blinds
So behold darkness as our new light
In our darkness we can see
So with others blindness
We take flight.

Corvettaholic

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2004, 11:48:10 AM »
Oh wow, didn't even see it there! My good buddy found it for me, cause I guess he wants to see me fry something again.

Once I go through it, want me to post a review for it? I probably won't get it till a couple days after thanksgiving.

Offline limpet chicken

• mad scientist
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2004, 12:06:05 PM »
Yeah, if you let me know your thoughts on the book, as some of these sorts of things are just building crappy slow coilguns and such that won't even blow a hole through a piece of metal </evil grin>

Wait!!!, you said, "yourt friend wants to see you fry something AGAIN"
That sounds quite worrying, what did you destroy the first time? ;D
The light blinds
So with others blindness
We take flight.

Corvettaholic

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2004, 12:24:11 PM »
Well I got a hold of a big pile of 24V 5000uF caps, and I decided to hook ALL of them in parallel! I had a 2 farad array, and I charge it SLOWLY to 20V by slowly increasing the voltage. If I charged it to fast, for some reason a circuit breaker threw on the power supply I was using. To discharge it, I ran a jumper wire (of insufficient size) to a little 6V DC motor I had duct taped to a metal desk. Well, um... I guess I built a welder of sorts. Bits of molten metal and motor flew all over the place. We had a simple ammeter, actually a lot of them, and after frying some we THINK we hit somewhere in the neighborhood of 60 amps. Only 60 amps! But figure 60 x 20 = 1200 watts of power. Now my microwave can put that out WIRELESSLY! I was going to build my microwave gun with a remote charging system, but after I knocked out power to half the school, I was forbidden to try anything like that again. I've also dealt a lot with "conditioning" gasoline containers and gas to air ratios to make some spectacular mushroom clouds and flame tornados. I mean, these things would shoot 100 feet in the air and you could see them from halfway across Phoenix! Police didn't like that too much though.

As far as that book, I don't think it'll have plans for anything with the output that I want. But thats why you take the base design and make it better! (read: more dangerous)

Oh yeah, I just drafted my buddy at work into being my lab assistant for that plasma gun. Going shopping after next payday!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2004, 12:25:05 PM by Corvettaholic »

Corvettaholic

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2004, 03:07:38 PM »
I just got the book for evil genius. There's some REALLY cool stuff in here! Once I get around to building one of these awesome things, I'll post pictures or maybe a video of what they can do! First, need to find an expendable lab assistant...

Offline limpet chicken

• mad scientist
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2004, 09:20:04 PM »
I suggest using a store bought plucked chicken for tests on destructive capacity, it's what I used when I was curious about halogen burns and thermite ;D
The light blinds
So with others blindness
We take flight.

Corvettaholic

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2004, 05:30:07 PM »
A guy at work just volunteered to be my next "timmy". Poor guy. First order of business is making my own power supply to do these experiments. I'm looking for some NPN transistors that can handle over 100 amps without melting. I'm thinking about making a big all in one box that has a 3/5/12/24 volt output, a variable HV output, and a big fat 0-1000amp @ 12V output. One of the guys at work is going to run conduit from my fusebox to my garage with 0 AWG wire on a dedicated circuit. Need to find someone who can fab sheetmetal, cause I don't think I should use a wooden case. Also probably going to install water cooling in this thing. My poor power meter is going to need a transmission (so much power = spins real fast).

Sponsored Links