April 19, 2024, 06:54:53 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: doing bonding project  (Read 3227 times)

Offline stevekim8

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
doing bonding project
« on: December 20, 2006, 07:33:51 PM »
hi i'm doing bonding project at school. it's making children's book with explaining all these chemistry stuffs
my topic for book is "SpongeBob". so far, i finished doing solubility, emulsions, and bending liquids. i need to do diffusion, shape and polarity, intermolecular force.

i have few questions i want to ask.
1. in general, what is intermolecular force? what is the difference between dipole and dispersion forces? what would be some examples of them to put in my book?
2. how would i explain spongebob way of diffusion? details at the molecular level?
3. how can something be nonpolar but have polar bonds?

thank you ^^ appreciate for your help

Offline Bakegaku

• Mole Snacks: +20/-5
  • Hydrogen peroxide is my miracle cure to everything
Re: doing bonding project
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2006, 07:49:36 PM »
like a few after me will probably suggest, try using Google or Wikipedia, then come here if you have a specific question you can't find.

As for how Spongebob can be used to explain diffusion... Well he's a sponge, so he could somehow absorb some chemical that diffuses into the water around him over time... Good luck with explaining the more advanced intermolecular bonding topics, thoughl.
"True knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing"
-Socrates

"I see, I forget.  I hear, I remember.  I do, I understand"
-Confucius

"Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet."
- Albert Einstein?

"American cartoons place characters in situations; anime
places situations around characters.  Anime characters
are not like fictional characters but more like fictional
people; their actions stem directly from their personalities,
and not just as a means to move the story's plot
forward.  We are made to sympathize with them, and
not simply be entertained by them."
~John Oppliger~

Offline mike

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2006, 08:48:13 PM »
3. A molcule may have symmetry. It may contain polar bonds within its structure however the polarity of one bond may be overall cancelled out by the opposite polarity of another bond in the same molecule.
There is no science without fancy, and no art without facts.

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2006, 09:45:42 PM »
3. A molcule may have symmetry. It may contain polar bonds within its structure however the polarity of one bond may be overall cancelled out by the opposite polarity of another bond in the same molecule.

A good example of this is CO2. The bonds are polar of the difference in electronegativity, but because of the symmetry in the arrangement of the 2 oxygen atoms with carbon in the center; it is not a polar compound.

[Edit] If you want to see the structure of carbon dioxide, look at the wikipedia article.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_dioxide
« Last Edit: December 20, 2006, 09:51:13 PM by constant thinker »
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Sponsored Links