April 16, 2024, 05:35:14 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: is your university top 50 in the world?  (Read 11935 times)

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
is your university top 50 in the world?
« on: November 17, 2004, 03:51:06 PM »
Harvard came in first [ouch] I can't belive my home university (NUS) is ranked 18th internationally. Least this confirms Imperial College dedication to excellence in engineering. This ranking is compiled by the Times Higher Education Supplement ;)

[attachment deleted by admin]

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: November 17, 2004, 03:52:03 PM by geodome »
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
Re:is your university top 50 in the world?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2004, 04:01:48 PM »
You can never take to much stock in these things.
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Corvettaholic

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2004, 05:32:35 PM »
How exactly do you rate a university anyway? Grade it by how many majors, what major is best, money available, diversity, quality of parties? Given the party scale, Arizona State University (right down the street frome me  ;D ) is one of the best! Also supposedly good with engineering too.

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Retired Staff
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2004, 05:36:13 PM »
I find it hard to believe that National University of Singapore is rated so high internationally. Growing up in Singapore, NUS becomes the place in my mind where "everybody goes". So it isn't that remarkable at all..
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Offline limpet chicken

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +49/-27
  • Vote Limpet for supreme emperor of the new order
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2004, 05:51:56 PM »
Is that title "glorified plumber for real geo? I am going to come back later and look at your profile when I am not hallucinating, and if it hsa changed, and this tag isnt real im gonna slap myself with a fish :P
The light blinds
So behold darkness as our new light
In our darkness we can see
So with others blindness
We take flight.

Offline movies

• Organic Minion
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-21
  • Better living through chemistry!
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2004, 06:14:53 PM »
I find it interesting that the order of the US schools in the international rankings is different from the order of the rankings of just the US schools.  My undergraduate school is usually in the top ten for US colleges, but it didn't even make the international list.

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Retired Staff
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2004, 07:21:29 PM »
Is that title "glorified plumber for real geo? I am going to come back later and look at your profile when I am not hallucinating, and if it hsa changed, and this tag isnt real im gonna slap myself with a fish :P

a chemical engineer is also known as a glorified plumber, because we deal with lots of pipes, valvs & pumps, and we get very high salary for it. That should justify me as a 'glorified plumber'

Offline gregpawin

• Cradle Bandit
  • Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +22/-5
  • Ebichu chu chu chuses you!
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2004, 01:29:45 AM »
Really? is that what chemical engineering is about?  You need to write an article about it because I'm messing around with "plumber stuff" myself at work.  Lots of process control?
I've got nothin'

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Retired Staff
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2004, 07:01:31 AM »
if you ever visit a chemical plant, you'll realise there are more pumps and pipes than any other devices. and the person who check these pipes and pumps are the chemical engineers themselves. any form of overheating or negative feedback are countered by adjusting valves normally. don't that make chemical engineers "overglorified plumbers"? LOL..

Offline Juan R.

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +24/-3
    • The Center for CANONICAL |SCIENCE)
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2004, 08:16:45 AM »

Of course!!!

that no.

My previous University was calified in 3rd place counting by below in the Spanish proper ranking. I imagine that the university would be one of the poor universities in the world ranking.
The first canonical scientist.

Offline kevins

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +17/-6
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2004, 09:54:05 AM »
if you ever visit a chemical plant, you'll realise there are more pumps and pipes than any other devices. and the person who check these pipes and pumps are the chemical engineers themselves. any form of overheating or negative feedback are countered by adjusting valves normally. don't that make chemical engineers "overglorified plumbers"? LOL..
We have 8 cooling water pumps and each pump ~40000 m3 water per hour and the pipe diameter up to 3 m. The power consumption of pump ~1000KW.  :o

Sponsored Links