April 25, 2024, 08:27:30 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: The Irish Republic  (Read 9733 times)

Offline The Tao

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
  • Chemistry BS Student
The Irish Republic
« on: December 22, 2006, 03:54:31 PM »
Hello,

Yes the Irish Republic, well to start off the discussion, I'd like to hear from perhaps citizens of the UK, or The Irish Republic if you recognize it, to simply explain why they demand independence, and please  express your oppinion on it.

For those of you who don't know who the Irish Republic is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_Republic

Thank you!
"The universe is built on a plan of profound symmetry of which is somehow present in the inner structure of our intellect."

Offline dfx-

• Mole Snacks: +4/-4
  • I'm NOT a mole!
    • Red Chill
Re: The Irish Republic
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2006, 07:17:35 PM »
Not really such a thing as 'The Irish Republic'..

The only Irish state is the Republic of Ireland. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_Ireland

Republic of Ireland = 26 counties - Independent member of the EU.
Northern Ireland = 6 counties - Member of the UK.

Some people want the six counties to be part of the Republic of Ireland, others want it to stay as part of the UK. At this point in time, it is trying to see if it can have its own government whilst still remaining a part of the UK and that's been the case for the past few years. It'll never be independent - it'll either be part of the UK or Ireland.

Personally, I think logic would mean the island should be united in its entirety like it was originally, but I don't mind if that never happens, which it probably won't.

What do you want discussed? :)
« Last Edit: December 22, 2006, 07:30:09 PM by dfx- »
BSc(Hons) in Forensic and Environmental Analysis

Offline The Tao

• Chemistry BS Student
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2006, 04:15:34 PM »
Well I understand it's an unrecognized state, but it has certainly made itself apparent witht he Irish Republic Army.
"The universe is built on a plan of profound symmetry of which is somehow present in the inner structure of our intellect."

Offline dfx-

• I'm NOT a mole!
    • Red Chill
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2006, 02:17:37 PM »
Well it doesn't exist as a state in the first place, so it will be unrecognised. Some people in Ireland and Northern Ireland want it to exist - a United Ireland in effect, but it doesn't and never will, in my opinion because 'the other side' are loyal to the Queen and don't want that.

The boring history ( ;D ):

The island of Ireland has 32 counties: All 32 were united before Britain colonised the country in medieval times. In 1919, Ireland won its independence finally from Britain. 6 of the 32 counties - all in the provence of Ulster wanted to stay under British rule i.e. loyal to the queen. So in the Treaty of 1922, it was agreed to give the other 26 counties freedom to rule themselves and the other 6 would be ruled from London (giving rise to 'Northern Ireland'). Some people would argue it was based on religious grounds where those 6 counties were about 66% protestant. For the next 50 years, nothing changed except *apparently* religious prejudice where Protestants were favoured. The Catholic community had enough and wanted a United Ireland(they had always wanted this). The IRA started a battle to get this United Ireland. The people who backed the IRA, backed the idea of a United Ireland.

Now the Provisional IRA has ceased to exist as a paramilitary wing and Northern Ireland is now trying to rule itself whilst still being UK soil - like Scotland and Wales - as a devolved Government. In order for this to work, diplomats from Dublin and London had to work together to bring the two sides together

The Irish Republic is a term used by some people to indicate their opinion that all 32 counties should be united and that if they were, that is what the island would be known as. They are often in support of the IRA, but not necessarily. They often refuse to recognise 'Northern Ireland' which does exist.

Basically, the split:

The Republic of Ireland = 26 counties on the island, independent state that exists.
Northern Ireland = 6 counties on the island, however UK soil, attempting an albeit devolved Government, that exists
The Irish Republic = A term given by some people to describe the island if all 32 counties were united again, but that doesn't actually exist.

:)

Offline The Tao

• Chemistry BS Student
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2006, 03:46:32 PM »
Thank you for your contributions to this topic.

Offline dfx-

• I'm NOT a mole!
    • Red Chill
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2006, 04:04:56 PM »
Oops, forgot my opinion ;D

In my opinion, logic states that if 32 counties were united before colonisation, then the 32 counties i.e. the entire island should be reunited.

But I can never see it happening and it probably never should.

Offline DrCMS

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +210/-81
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2007, 01:07:28 PM »
Using the argument that Ireland was united under its own rule nearly 1000 years ago so it should be the same today would rather change the Map of Europe, Africa, Asia, etc. etcl.

Offline dfx-

• I'm NOT a mole!
    • Red Chill
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2007, 09:37:58 PM »
Twas only 400 years ago or so. And under colonisation, the country was united...so the first time the island was split was with independence in 1922. 80 years ago. That isn't too long ago is it?

Mentioning this topic since both considered 'extreme opposite' views in Northern Ireland have agreed to a coalition government on Tuesday. Given that the First (Prime) Minister was the head of staunch outspoken Unionism for the last 50 years and his Deputy used to be an IRA commander...this was a big day of hope for Northern Ireland's future.

Offline DrCMS

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +210/-81
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2007, 04:29:36 AM »
Yes the sight of Ian Paisley posing with Martin McGuinness was surreal.  I hope they can cement the peace in the province.

Sponsored Links