April 20, 2024, 03:13:03 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Mechanical Vapor Compression - Steam  (Read 8399 times)

Offline technologist

• Mole Snacks: +6/-4
    • Chemical Professionals
Mechanical Vapor Compression - Steam
« on: December 23, 2006, 06:07:43 AM »
Any one on practical experience of compressing steam using Mech Vapor Compression.

Offline eugenedakin

• Oilfield Consulting Chemist
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +88/-2
  • My desk agrees with the law of entropy
    • Personal Website
Re: Mechanical Vapor Compression - Steam
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007, 01:03:43 PM »
Hi technologist,

Unfortunately, I have not had the opportunity to use this in the field.

Just for my curiosity, have you seen an application where this is required/needed?

Have a great day,

Eugene
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those that do not.

Offline technologist

• Chemical Professionals
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 11:56:43 PM »
Not really, but read somewhere so I was also curious if somebody is using it.

Offline Montemayor

• Mole Snacks: +9/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2007, 07:57:01 PM »
Techno:

I've re-compressed saturated, low pressure steam.  I've done it using what many would consider the conventional way:  using higher pressure steam through a venturi jet compressor.   This is nothing more than a jet venturi working as a mixing device and compressing the LP steam with the HP steam.  The result is an intermediate steam pressure.   There are no moving parts and the process is continuous.  It sometimes is called a "Thermal compressor".

The application is one where you don't want to lose the value of the LP steam condensate and have to recirculate it back to the boiler(s).   It has it's applications - in such Unit Operations as large evaporators.

What do you specifically mean by "Mech Vapor Compression"?   Are you referring to a mechanical compressor much like a reciprocating piston & cylinder arrangement?   I've never seen such a system and doubt if it would prove to be cost effective in adding enthalpy to a LP steam source.   Steam re-compression is all about adding value to a LP waste steam source that normally is either condensed and recirculated back to boilers or is vented out to atmosphere.

Hope this information is of use.

Offline technologist

• Chemical Professionals
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2007, 12:01:00 AM »
Thanks Art,
By 'Mechanical', I meant Centrifugal compression.
I know thermal compressors as name suggest this is not MECHANICAL compression.

Few of us should understand that when we discuss some practical issue - its not necessarily from students  or for academic purpose (Though we all r students as far as learning is concerned throughout our whole life).

I am discussing practical aspects, as mentioned in my first post very clearly....PRACTICAL & MECHANICAL COMPRESSION

Sponsored Links