March 28, 2024, 05:02:06 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: What is your religion?  (Read 138808 times)

Offline enahs

• 16-92-15-68 32-7-53-92-16
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +206/-44
Re: What is your religion?
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2008, 07:42:22 PM »
Repeatability is a key word here. I have not seen electron nor have I performed experiment in which it is visible by myself, but given necesary resources I can repeat experiments in which it is visible (or at least somehow detectable). You can't say the same about any god.

Really?

I am pretty sure I can find more people in this world that will say they have heard from god, and god told them to be a "good person" (or one of the many other things people say god says) then I can find people that even with a manual would be able to make these measurements given all the equipment and resources.

I would not even want to speculate on the fact that it is quite possible I can find more people that would say they have been visited by aliens, and give the same description of a physical being that visited them then I could find people capable of doing the experiments given the resources of detecting an electron. I fear the alien thing would be in higher number. So we have people saying they have been visited by aliens, and give the same physical description and even circumstances. It is a repeatable thing, probably by more people then can see evidence of an electron given all the resources. So then, that is proof aliens visit people on earth and give them anal probes for some strange reason?

Again, I am not saying I believe any of this. I am just playing devils advocate. And I understand my example is a little wacky. I just do not see it as so clear cut; even though myself I would put science in front of god like beings without a single minute of hesitation.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2008, 03:24:15 AM »
Electron mass and its charge will be the same regardless of wheteher they were measured by me or someone else. That's repeatability. What people hear from their god depends on their religion. That's not repeatability.

I can see your point, but I doubt you will get far with the search for god just looking at the stories told by people. If you can prove these people did not have some common background on which they could build their stories, that will change the thing. But fact that their stories are religion dependent suggests rather some interesting quirk in our psychology, not existence of god(s).
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline enahs

• Retired Staff
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2008, 09:08:38 AM »
Electron mass and its charge will be the same regardless of wheteher they were measured by me or someone else. That's repeatability. What people hear from their god depends on their religion. That's not repeatability.

But you actually will not. We call it experimental error. And we use reasoning, logic and other knowledge and say, well they represent the same thing. heh  ;D

I believe in science. But I have not gone back and redone every experiment ever done in the past, but I have accepted the information given to me by those people that have come before me. I trust in there judgment and practices. It is not really that much difference in religion when you break it down to the basic level.

And again, just so people do not get confused by me, I am playing devils advocate. I am not a religious person at all!

« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 10:00:17 AM by enahs »

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2008, 10:39:30 AM »
I believe in science. But I have not gone back and redone every experiment ever done in the past, but I have accepted the information given to me by those people that have come before me. I trust in there judgment and practices. It is not really that much difference in religion when you break it down to the basic level.

You have not redone every experiment, but you can repeat almost any of them if you want. When it comes to 10 commandments you have no choice, but to believe an old Jew when he said 'that's what God gave me'. You can't check what really happened there, you can't check if he received 10 commandments, you can't check what they were.

"You can if you want" against "you can't, period". That's a huge difference.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline enahs

• Retired Staff
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2008, 11:40:00 AM »

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2008, 11:47:02 AM »
10, I thought it was 15?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L940yIeVZzE
 ;D

You see, nobody knows and you can't check.

Electron charge, on the other hand...

Offline Heliox

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2008, 09:04:57 AM »
Nothing.  Believe in me only.

Offline complex

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2009, 02:12:55 AM »
I'm a weird blend of Christian protestantism. I actually used to be atheist but that's another story. But I'm content with my beliefs. They don't conflict with my science. And I fit my families in an odd sort of way.

Offline newbiedummy

• Mole Snacks: +2/-0
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2009, 02:26:25 PM »
"When I do good I feel good. When I do bad I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline RVM45

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2009, 12:03:36 AM »
I am a member of the Church of God in Christ(C.O.G.I.C.) a Petecostal Holiness Church that welcomes everyone, but is a traditionally Black Church( I'm white). I'm trying to get my Minister's Credentials.

I grew up Baptist, but find most Baptist too laid back, and too Liberal.

People, you should really try to fully grasp Godel's Incompletenesss Theorem.

All Logical systems either A.} Contain Contradictions, and/or B.} Contain Unprovable Assertions' and/or C.} cannot be fully justified without bring in at least one axiom from outside the system--At which point you have a new system to which these three Axioms invariably apply-- or at least one of them.

Do you remember the old Sophorific teaser: Can God create a stone that he can't lift?

Most Philosophers want to pooh-pooh the question--but let's restate it in the most general terms possible:

Can an Omnipotentant being create an unsolvable problem for himself? One which he would be completely impotent to resolve?

This is like Joshu's "Mu". Answer "Yes" or "No" and your "Omnipotent" being loses his Buddah nature.

But wait--have we proven that Omnipotence can't exist? No, we've simply proven that Omnipotence is beyond Human Logic or Comprehension...

Now people misuse the term Atheist and Agnostic.

A true Atheist is not only sure that God does not exist: He is convinced that God is a Logical impossibility in This; or any other concievable Universe...

Now that takes faith.

The Agnostic doesn't trust his own, or anyone else's experience. Hypothetically, no matter how many times God revealed himself to the Agnostic--no matter how blatantly, the good Agnostic will always be uncertain if God is real--or if he's simply hallucinating.

Some Fundamentalists want to argue endlessly whether Evolution is "Good Science" or not. I don't care. There is no existensial reason to believe that "Good Science" is always true...

Any philosopher will tell you that you Can't use Science to prove Science--anymore than you can lift yourself by the bootstraps...

So I don't have to shout myself hoarse, proclaiming that Evolution is a stupid idea--actually, it is concievable, and rather cleaver. It just doesn't happen to be true...

Now I can't "Prove" my thesis either. However, once you realize that God would have to be far different than man--the idea that God created the whole Universe as a showcase for man; that he created mankind for some at least partially obscure aggenda; and that he constructed the human brain; mind; and soul to feel a certain inherent plausibility to certain inherent ideas and tendancies, is no longer anymore mind-boggling than any other idea...

..RVM45    8) ::) 8)

By the way-in a human sense; although some things are inherently too hairy to predict the outcome; the only time that one can know an outcome with certainty, ahead of time; is if that event is somehow both fixed and preordained.

Omnescience, like Omnipotence doesn't have to share human limitations--so God is quite capable of knowing the result of our "Truly Random" and "Totally Freewill" actions; without having to hedge his bets by limiting us to one possible outcome...

But a God like the Musselmen believe in, where God carefully choreographs even the smallest detail before he even starts; raises some serious questions--like why bother? Why not just think about it--and not; and then say that he did?

Offline Markovnikov

« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2009, 03:53:38 AM »
I believe in Science and Secularism.

Offline Ranadeep

• Mole Snacks: +2/-2
  • I Love Chemistry : )
« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2009, 11:25:45 AM »
Hinduism( Orthodox )
I am 15 from India and i like doing chemistry

Offline Doctor science

• Mole Snacks: +3/-5
« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2010, 11:16:27 PM »
i am a religious muslim i dont like terrorism and i hate the talaban and osama bin ladin will burn in hell forever for his crimes.
 so hi my name is nasser. :D :Dhttp://www.themodernreligion.com/basic/charac/essays_MUSLIMS_CHARACTER_ghazali.htm

have a read and you will know what type of person i ami hope you understand it properly.

Offline Ligander

• Jah, muidugi kuid ei
    • Schulich Faculty of Chemistry - Technion, Israel
« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2010, 07:13:31 PM »
 My world outlook is Orthodox Judaism but practically I do not observe the most of commandments.

mrteverett

« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2011, 04:38:54 PM »
I was raised Methodist, but I've become too much of a cynic to believe in much of anything anymore.

Sponsored Links