March 29, 2024, 02:27:02 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: What is your religion?  (Read 138819 times)

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: What is your religion?
« Reply #60 on: February 29, 2012, 07:12:40 AM »
Have they not discovered that there was a time in history that the 'sun stood still' or better put..the earth stopped rotating as it was recorded in the bible.
 Of course you know that hell has been discovered ...described as a region 10 times hotter than estimated! According to the reports they could hear cries of human beings that seemed to be in torture when they lowered their microphone.

Do you have any credible source for these claims?  If not, they are not worth electrons used to display them on the screen. People can write whatever they like, but just because it is written doesn't mean it is true.

I have seen people flying over New York - do you believe me? If so, why? If not, why not?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 09:11:58 AM by Arkcon »
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
« Reply #61 on: February 29, 2012, 09:17:44 AM »
Do you have any credible source for these claims?

It's not worth it...

« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 09:11:33 AM by Arkcon »
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Offline Caustikola

• Mole Snacks: +4/-9
    • Chemistry:The Central Science
« Reply #62 on: February 29, 2012, 09:55:17 AM »
Borek
if i must go logical...
So many things prove that a GOD exists
in mathematics, you can't have an equation without a constant; it's the same in nature. Our world has so many variables and there just has to be a constant unchanging person which is God
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 09:07:20 AM by Arkcon »
Nothing gets higher than where God dwells. If there is an upper limit to the universe,call it the abode of God

Offline vmelkon

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +28/-10
« Reply #63 on: February 29, 2012, 04:43:11 PM »
For those who are wondering what that was about, I had run into that article about hell being found by accident a few months ago.
http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/d/drilltohellfacts.htm

It is a fun read, if you have time to kill.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #64 on: February 29, 2012, 06:22:54 PM »
It is a fun read, if you have time to kill.

Thanks. A good one.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #65 on: February 29, 2012, 06:33:05 PM »
Yes, I'd seen that story a number of times.  It may have been quoted on Yahoo News, which I see when I leave my email.  It quotes lots of such typical stories.  And clearly, doesn't feel bad about how this paints them as a news source.  But ... we here at the chemical forums, like to hold our postings to a higher standard than Yahoo Wakky News, USA's Enquirer, UK's The Sun or Pravda.  Students come here, looking to learn new things, so deliberate disinformation, for philosophical purposes, isn't what we'd like the group to be about.

The Tao: started this thread years ago when this board started, as a brief moment to speak frankly about the role of his religion in his daily life.  It has since become a thread where everyone "testifies" -- that is, preaches to the group about what they believe.  Which is fine -- these thoughts are in our heads, and they're part of us, and they might as well be out in the open.  But if someone's come to this board, with no purpose but to preach in this thread, introduce themselves in the Introductions thread, and announce their age in the Age thread, I'm kinda left wondering why those people came to the Chemical Forums at all.

Since I've gone and posted in this thread after all these years, I guess I should answer the OP's question:  I was raised Roman Catholic, when to parochial school before college, and was even an altar boy.  Roman Catholic doctrine, rituals and catechism hold a special place in my mind for me, but I don't base all my opinions, actions and conversations on only that.  I no longer attend mass, because its boring.  Your average sermon is much less inspirational to me than say, the moral of a good episode of Star Trek or other, well written, sci-fi.  

I remain a theist.  Its easy for me to meet, everyday, someone smarter and more talented than me.  I try to channel that experience into what passes for the understanding of an Ultimate Intelligence.  I use this as a daily thought problem.  The cognitive dissonance this requires is, I believe, something useful to keep me humble and open minded.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Silppuri

• Mole Snacks: +3/-1
  • Laboratorian
    • Symbiosis
« Reply #66 on: February 29, 2012, 11:25:36 PM »
any atheist has a reason ..not Just to beiieve a GOD dosent exist but also to imagine there's no being cöntrolling his life
the bible is true. Heaven exists and so does hell. Well, since its obvious there's no sense in  agnostism
According to the Hebrew and Greek sources where the Bible is translated from, there's no such thing as Hell. And also, if I was to believe in a god, which one should I choose from the thousands of them? Which religion is the right one?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 09:07:38 AM by Arkcon »
If you add 1,00 litres of ethanol to 1,00 litres of water, you get 1,92 litres of solution.

Offline 408

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +103/-30
« Reply #67 on: March 01, 2012, 03:21:51 AM »
A thought for all that argue religion/no religion.

One spends his time arguing for invisible space ghost.  Another spends his time arguing against invisible space ghost.

Two people have now wasted their time.  And I lost about a minute of my life writing this.   >:(

Offline amorale

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
« Reply #68 on: March 08, 2012, 12:10:07 PM »
I don't really believe in the bible god or whatever religion book there is out there, those are man made and man doesn't know anything beyond what we have seen. And we have never seen god or the heavens or hell, and we have been to space and 100s of meters underground. However I can't really say that something superior to us doesn't exist. For example I strongly believe in the Big Bang Theory and how the universe was created, also I am a huge believer of evolution, you know survival of the fittest and all of that.  But if the universe was created from a single particle full of energy, then where did that particle came from, and who put it there. That is the reason I believe that something bigger exists just not how they put it in the bible.

Offline Wave57

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #69 on: March 14, 2012, 01:30:32 AM »
I'm definitely an agnostic atheist. :P

Extraordinary claims need extraordinary evidence.

If someone were to come up with proof of the existence of a God (or Gods), then I would become a gnostic theist.

Offline Caustikola

• Mole Snacks: +4/-9
    • Chemistry:The Central Science
Re: what is your religeon?
« Reply #70 on: March 14, 2012, 03:38:01 AM »
@wave 57;
what is evidence? Is it what you see or what you strongly suspect?
 If it's what you see, then why 'believe' in evolution? If it's what you strongly suspect then you simply chose to believe a God dosen't exist simply because you dont have a 'proof'. This strange because in the end agnostism and gnoism are both belifs. The problem is: you're not 100% sure your agnostic belifs are true. That's the danger. I'm a christian, and I'm 100% sure God exists. Have you ever solved a math equation that has no constant? Its impossible. That's a proof- in a highly variable universe, there must be a constant factor; a creator.

Nothing gets higher than where God dwells. If there is an upper limit to the universe,call it the abode of God

Offline NathanielZhu

• Mole Snacks: +2/-2
« Reply #71 on: March 14, 2012, 10:59:44 PM »
I was raised Christian.
As I learned more, I began to question more. My questioning lead me to seek empirical evidence. Faith (feeling) isn't reliable (which you yourself can try on a multiple choice test on a subject you have no clue about. No matter how much faith you have in your God, he won't channel you the answer).

Now I'm an atheist. No evidence = no belief. Simple as that.

Offline Wave57

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #72 on: March 15, 2012, 06:46:08 PM »
@wave 57;
what is evidence? Is it what you see or what you strongly suspect?
 If it's what you see, then why 'believe' in evolution? If it's what you strongly suspect then you simply chose to believe a God dosen't exist simply because you dont have a 'proof'. This strange because in the end agnostism and gnoism are both belifs. The problem is: you're not 100% sure your agnostic belifs are true. That's the danger. I'm a christian, and I'm 100% sure God exists. Have you ever solved a math equation that has no constant? Its impossible. That's a proof- in a highly variable universe, there must be a constant factor; a creator.

I'm not going to be getting into any debate if that's what you think.

But evidence is something that we can prove happens, something that is recordable. And why is a God exempt from proof/evidence being needed.

My question for you is why you do not believe in multiple Gods, and specifically why the "Christian" God?

Offline Guitarmaniac86

• Mole Snacks: +31/-2
  • Medicinal Chemist
« Reply #73 on: March 16, 2012, 05:27:37 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laGB4etAosE

I am anti-theist but I am open to the idea that a god or gods may exist, but I do not believe any religion on Earth has the proof for the existence of a god.
Don't believe atoms, they make up everything!

colin123

« Reply #74 on: March 17, 2012, 01:30:27 PM »
I'm a christian, and I stand by it. However, anyone of opposite religions, I will not be rude or hateful to you.

Sponsored Links