April 19, 2024, 02:20:28 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Hello everyone!  (Read 20403 times)

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
Re: Hello everyone!
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2006, 04:07:17 PM »
http://www.webelements.com/webelements/elements/text/Zn/chem.html

I did a Google search on zinc reactions and found this link among many.

Offline mafiaparty303

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2006, 04:26:03 PM »
cool, thanks!
www.lafamillemasse.com/pierre/smart_people.htm
Join the Smart People for a better future!
-Founded by Pierre Masse

Offline teapot5

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2007, 06:26:58 PM »
O wait, we got off topic!  ???  What can one do with a strip/bar of zinc? Preferably with house hold items? Or potassium nitrate (i have some of that), or Calcium Hydroxide?
there is a chemical that is sold in just about any hardware store called Muriatic acid it has a concentration of 35% of HCl. so all you have to do is go to the store pick some up and make your hydrogen.

Offline mafiaparty303

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2007, 09:02:40 PM »
Yep yep, got a gallon of the stuff outside right now, gonna do some experiments this weekend, whats a good diluted concentration that will give me a good fiz with the zinc? the one i have right now is at 29%.
-Founded by Pierre Masse

Offline woelen

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +40/-2
  • The art of wondering makes life worth living...
    • Science made alive
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2007, 08:04:59 AM »
A good concentration is 15%. Take half a volume of the acid and half a volume of water and add zinc.

This also works nice with aluminium. Also use 15% for that. The reaction takes quite some time (several minutes) to get started, but once it is going it is become very violent. If you do this with 29% acid and aluminium, then you MUST do it outside, the reaction is really violent and lots of thick smoke of AlCl3 and HCl is emitted. Don't use Al-foil, but Al, used in construction (strips, U and L-shaped profiles, etc.).
Want to wonder? See http://www.oelen.net/science

Offline teapot5

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2007, 02:55:21 PM »
wouldn't Al cans work?

Offline mafiaparty303

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2007, 06:43:56 PM »
why not al foil?
-Founded by Pierre Masse

Offline woelen

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +40/-2
  • The art of wondering makes life worth living...
    • Science made alive
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2007, 03:21:13 PM »
Foils either don't work (because they are covered by some plastic layer), or they react way too violent.

Aluminium cans might work, but again, it depends on the coating of the aluminium.
Want to wonder? See http://www.oelen.net/science

Offline teapot5

« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2007, 07:33:02 PM »
Right, I forgot about the writing on the can, you would probably have to grind/scratch it off to get to the Al.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2007, 04:48:58 AM »
Most likely sand paper will do enough damage to the coating.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline mafiaparty303

« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2007, 10:59:10 AM »
how about running Al over the stove for a few seconds? I've done it before and I havn't smelled any plastic fumes coming off of it.

I tried the zinc + HCl yesterday pretty interesting reaction, especially the lighting a hydrogen filled balloon on fire  :P Even a small maybe... 4 inch in diameter gives a good shabang.... but i cant go bigger since the stupid neighbor will come and complain....he already has once.... me and my freind are trying to make a good dry rocket proplelant, KNO3 + Sugar, we are making lots of smoke obviosly and they guy comes why and says we could burn the house down, like thats not enough he has to ring the door bell and tell my mom that we are "playing" with fire, and we could burn the house down.. maybe 20 feet from my actual house in this dead garden (AKA test site  ;)) and we can burn the house down w/e.
-Founded by Pierre Masse

Offline teapot5

« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2007, 11:08:59 AM »
yes, i had the same experience and heres what you do. First you go over to his/her house and knock on the door, when they come out tell them that they where right and the "test site" location was a bad place. Then tell them that you have moved to a new and better location to bad for them the location you have chosen is as close to their house as you can get it. When the wind is blowing to the direction of their house light alot of smoke bombs and smoke them out. Knowing them they will come out and tell you to stop, tell them you will move back if they stop bitching.

it worked out well for me. ;D

Offline mafiaparty303

« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2007, 05:46:03 PM »
niccee lol

no need for that at the moment, i have set up a chemistry lab area in my garage, but i dont conduct any extreme fire experiments in there

sometimes I wish I could just live in montana or something...with a giant feild of nothing.. lots of powdered aluminium....lots of Iron oxide... mixed together.....some magnesiumm...ahhhhh chemistry/pyro heaven...if only if only
-Founded by Pierre Masse

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2007, 06:06:02 PM »
It is usually the best policy not to irritate your neighbors. There are people who will lay in wait to really cause you grief.

For instance, when you burn something out doors, they anonymously turn it in to the Fire Company. The Fire Company arrives and asks if you have a burning permit. You do not so you get fined. Your parents sell your chemistry stuff at ridiculously low prices to pay for the fine.  Next day the EPA comes around to investigate if you are polluting the air and you have to fill out mountains of forms. The scenarios are infinite. I do not want to mention all the other federal organizations that might get involved, much less the state agencies. It is better to keep a low profile.

By the way one should read the rules and policies of this forum.

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2007, 10:50:58 PM »
Neighbors!? My closest neighbor is at least 150 feet away, and that is only because both our houses aren't set far back from the road. Come summer I can't see their houses because of all the overgrowth.

P.S. From listening to some of my friends'/family's stories about their neighbors, it's better to not piss them off.
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Sponsored Links