April 18, 2024, 05:07:03 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Can I make my own CuCl2?  (Read 21191 times)

Offline mafiaparty303

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Can I make my own CuCl2?
« on: December 30, 2006, 07:03:30 PM »
Didnt want to start a new post so i just modified my filtering soil one..

EDIT: Is there a way to make copper (II) Chloride? At home? Im guessing it would have something to do with HCl and Copper but I don't have any HCl, is there a way to make it with NaCl? Or would a NaCl method be too complicated?

Also, what common house hold items contain useful Acids? I know asprin is a type of acid but how? since acids are liquid and asprin is solid? Would you just disolve it in water and you have the diluted acid? Other than the basic vinegar and lemon juice what other acids are there? Plus can you make HCl out of bleack or something like that?

Thanks

If I took some dirt from the ground (southern California) and put it in water, stirred it up, filtered it and then either boiled the water or let it evaporate what would I get as the final product? Does anyone have a link or know the % of elements in dirt?

Has anyone here heard about a Flower Pot Foundry? Its used for melting metal and I'm wondering if anyone's made one?

Thanks
« Last Edit: December 31, 2006, 05:02:34 AM by mafiaparty303 »
www.lafamillemasse.com/pierre/smart_people.htm
Join the Smart People for a better future!
-Founded by Pierre Masse

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
Re: Substances in dirt?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2006, 02:36:53 AM »
The soil at any location is mixture of many compounds. Some of which are organic and some are mineral. The smaller particles and / or the soluble substances would be left after the process you suggest.

Offline xiankai

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +77/-37
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2006, 03:03:48 AM »
maybe u'll get some salts from evaporating, most of which are plant nutrients, and u'll filter out dead insects and small or tiny stones :P

the soil varies greatly from place to place, and calling it southern californian soil has no meaning, y'know.

u gotta bring it to a lab for analysis if u want to know what your soil contains, afraid its that complicated
one learns best by teaching

Offline mafiaparty303

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2006, 04:44:10 AM »
ok, ya thats what I expected, different %of everything everywhere, worth a shot just to see what I'd get.

Thanks
-Founded by Pierre Masse

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
Re: Can I make my own CuCl2?
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2006, 05:02:16 PM »
Far be it that, I would discourage throwing household chemicals together and see what happens.
And, surely I do not want to discourage experimentation.

But

Please consider the potential safety hazards involved with chemistry.

I know that it is tempting to just ask questions here.
And, surely we want to help where you might not have the resources to know the answer.

But

You also might want read about the chemicals you are asking about.
Initially I would use http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%25s to start and then look at other sites.
Google.com can help you search.

In any case please let us know how your experimenting is progressing.

One last point, as moderator I try to host this forum as best I can, but unless I have done the experiment myself, my ability to answer is limited.

Oh, one more point.
Changing the topic within a thread can be confusing.
It is better just to start a new post.

Offline mafiaparty303

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2006, 05:56:38 PM »
Ok thanks for the tips and ill keep that in mind if I want to post, (just didnt want to post too many new topics)

Can you use any soluable copper compound to do a single replacement? say taking CuNO3 and mixing it with water and then putting aluminium foil in the solution, wouldn't the copper switch places with the aluminium and form Aluminium Nitrate?
CuCl2 would be the same wound'nt it ?
-Founded by Pierre Masse

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2006, 06:33:09 PM »
In many cases if you have two chemicals that react in solution and they do not precipitate or form gases, then you will probably not have total replacement. You will achieve a sort of equilibrium.

Offline mafiaparty303

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2006, 06:40:36 PM »
ok, so would that be a yes? That if you used any copper compound that is soluable and put it in water then place a higher metal in the solution it would replace?
-Founded by Pierre Masse

Offline teapot5

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2007, 08:19:43 PM »
If you need HCl then go out and buy it, the name used in almost any hardware store is 'Muriatic acid' I got a gallon for 4$ and I'm only 16.

And the concentration varies from 25-35% which is still great.

Offline mafiaparty303

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2007, 11:11:56 AM »
wait so.. can I or can't I make my own CuCl(2)s      by mixing HCl and Copper?
-Founded by Pierre Masse

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2007, 10:43:29 PM »
Have you tried dipping copper of some kind into HCl? You should get hydrogen gas coming off it works.

I honestly don't know if this will work. I've never tried it. I'm thinking maybe it will work, as long as you're using concentrated hydrochloric acid. It just may be a slow reaction. Copper is fairly low on the reactivity series though.

By the way, where all the icons are above where you type your post, there is a button for subscripts. I suggest you learn how to use it.
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Offline mafiaparty303

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2007, 12:51:23 AM »
what i meant by CuCl(2)s was.. CuCl OR CuCl2
-Founded by Pierre Masse

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2007, 02:57:30 AM »
mafiaparty303 -

Your entry should have read --

I noticed that copper does not react with hydrochloric acid very well. Does anyone have a suggestion as how I would get copper chloride.

http://www2.uni-siegen.de/~pci/versuche/english/v44-24-1.html

My answer might have been --

It looks like you might use bleach to get copper (II) chloride
Or
Sodium bisulfite and hydrochloric acid to get copper (I) chloride

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copper%28II%29_chloride

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copper%28I%29_chloride

« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 03:12:45 AM by billnotgatez »

Offline UnintentionalChaos

• Mole Snacks: +9/-2
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2007, 10:54:40 PM »
You can probably find copper sulfate as tree root killer and calcium chloride as ice melt salt (read the container for this one, many are blends of salts) or room dehumidifiers. Calcium sulfate is insoluble and the remaining solution will have CuCl2. The CaSO4 tends to hang around as a supersaturated solution though so after carefully evaporating the mix, an extraction with alchohol should leave all the calcium sulfate behind. Adding Cu metal (fine powder or thin wire) to concentrated CuCl2 solution should form Cu(CuCl2), the complex ion being very dark colored. Diluting this should precipitate CuCl. I have done the former, but only been told about the latter.

Offline hmx9123

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +59/-18
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2007, 02:02:38 AM »
Get some copper(II) sulfate at the garden supply store.  It's sold as 'sulfate of copper' usually.  Dissolve it in water.  Filter out any solid crap.  Dump in a stoichiometric amount of potassium carbonate (pool supply store) or if you don't have that, baking soda with a little bit of sodium hydroxide (red devil lye).  This forms basic copper carbonate.  Filter this light blue solid out.  Add HCl (Muriatic acid) to it slowly until gas evolution ceases.

If you want Copper (II) chloride, stop here, evaporate the solution, and you're done.  If you want copper (I) chloride, add a large piece of copper wire coiled up and boil the solution.  This will effectively reduce the copper (II) to copper (I).  Remove the copper wire, and dump the solution over cracked ice.  Very white copper(I) chloride (very pure) will crash out, as it is not very soluble in water.  Filter and dry.  If you let it sit in air, it will darken and become copper oxychloride.

Adding HCl to copper wire won't dissolve it without help of another acid or something else, like hydrogen peroxide, but if you add that, you may wind up with a mix of junk.  Stick to the method above.

Sponsored Links