March 29, 2024, 07:49:44 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Radioactive Sample - Questions  (Read 5537 times)

Offline SteveB

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
Radioactive Sample - Questions
« on: January 05, 2007, 10:20:20 PM »
Hello.

I have a question regarding a test / experiment I want to do with alpha and radiation sources. I want to buy samples Polonium-210, Strontium-90. My question is, will I be able to detect the amount of radiation that is given off with a geiger counter? (Perhaps around 2 - 4 feet away)

I want to test the sources against materials for blocking the radiation such as lead.. but I'm not sure if I can put them inside a container with the different blocking materials without all the radiation being absorbed.

Here's the link to the 2 samples I want to buy: http://www.unitednuclear.com/isotopes.htm

If you don't want to check.. I wrote it here:

ISOTOPES          ACTIVITY     EMISSION     ENERGIES
Polonium-210      0.1 uCi         Alpha           5304.5 KeV
Strontium-90       0.1 uCi        Beta             546 KeV

Thank you,

Steve
Currently in my collection: 5g of Mercury, 10g of Gallium

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +106/-23
  • I am NOT a freak.
Re: Radioactive Sample - Questions
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2007, 10:39:27 PM »
No, you will not be able to test these.  Alpha particles are VERY hard to detect with a geiger counter unless your counter is specifically designed to detect alpha particles.  This is because alpha particles are stopped in a few inches of air, or by any type of solid surface.  (A piece of paper will completely block all alpha particles given off by a source.  From a few feet away, even if there is nothing blocking it, you won't detect any).

Beta particles can penetrate more deeply, but they too are block by something like a piece of glass or aluminum foil.  Lead sheeting will readily block beta particles, though in some cases when the lead stops the beta particle it generates x-rays in the process.

Geiger counters will typically detect gamma rays, some beta rays, and x-rays so your beta source may be detectable, but your alpha source will be completely undetectable.
"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

Offline pantone159

• Mole Herder
  • Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +54/-6
  • A mole of moles doesn't smell so nice...
    • Go Texas Soccer!!
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2007, 03:41:17 AM »
If you put the Sr-90 near the detector, at least without shielding, it should pick up easily.
The Po-210 won't show up at all, unless your detector has one of those thin-mica windows (that let alphas in), then it would pick up well at very short distances (c. 1 cm) but zippo at 10+ cm.

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2007, 03:57:00 AM »
I made an alpha detector chamber for shits and giggles last year. I should probably blog about it.
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Sponsored Links