March 28, 2024, 05:13:17 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: What are some good starting chemicals?  (Read 43754 times)

Offline joeflsts

• Mole Snacks: +3/-0
  • Ten fingers.. ten toes... PHEW!
Re: What are some good starting chemicals?
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2007, 05:14:17 PM »
For the spill containment won't sand help, at least so the spill dosn't expand anymore than it already has?

@mitch
haha true words

I've been looking for potassiunm iodide everywhere, the only thing I've found is pills, and I don't want to order lots of chemicals from ebay since they are all separate meaning separate shipping costs...
are there any other sites (other than hvchemicals) that sell im small amounts, (like united nuclear)?

EDIT: wow....hvchemicals isnt that great.... theres a $25 plus fee for hazardous material, thats not taking into mind the actual HCl cost and the shipping thats like..$15..

I need to find a better place

(I'm thinking about buying some of the radioactive marables for $10 from U.N. and some free radioactive ore comes with them, should I store this in some lead or is the radioactivity level too little to cause harm?)

If you are looking for HCl then you should check out a local hardware store.  You can buy it by the gallon.  It is called Muractic Acid.

Joe

Offline mafiaparty303

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2007, 05:23:19 PM »
Ok, thanks I'll check it out!
www.lafamillemasse.com/pierre/smart_people.htm
Join the Smart People for a better future!
-Founded by Pierre Masse

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +106/-23
  • I am NOT a freak.
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2007, 07:24:37 PM »
Radioactive ores, on the other hand, *MUST* be stored OUTSIDE.  They emit radon, which is not something you want to build up  inside your home.

That's a bit overblown there.  The longest lived isotope of Radon has a half-life of 3.8 days.  This Radon can also only come from the decay of Radium-226 which only makes up a trace amount of the various number of isotopes of Radium.  Radium has a long half-life of about 1600 years, and the radium is generated from thorium in the ore which has an even longer half-life.  So what am I getting at here?  Basically there is not enough raw material in a sample of ore to produce any noticeable level of radon, and any radon that does get generated will either get locked up in the ore itself, or will decay long before it can "build up".  The only places where radon build-up is a problem is at the very bottom of ore mines where there are billions of years of equillibrium built up and tons and tons and tons of ore there in the earth. 

Trust me, having some radioactive ore in your house is not going to lead to a massive radon buildup.  In order to have an amount that would create a dangerous radon build-up you'd need to be more worried about the radiation from the ore itself rather than the fleetingly tiny quantity of radon that exists.
"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2007, 10:15:53 PM »
Just to add my two sense.

Small scale experiments are the way to go. They are simply cheaper and safer.

Keep in mind that some household chemicals are seen as benign (like vinegar), but once concentrated are dangerous and nothing like there common household product. A standard example is glacial acetic acid and vinegar. Vinegar is used for cooking purposes, but that doesn't mean that acetic acid is safe. Once concentrated it is dangerous.

Don't smell stuff. Work in well ventilated areas (or outside), and stand downwind.

For me, personally I find experiments that I want to try. Then I research if there any over the counter ways of getting it.

Don't use things that you cook with or eat on.

Respect all chemicals.

Neutralizing chemicals is a must.

Lastly if your unsure research the question, and if you still have questions about an experiment or chemical, ask!

P.S. These are just general rules that I personally follow, and I think I covered most things; even though most have already been mentioned. Happy experimenting! :)
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2007, 09:53:21 AM »
mafiaparty303 -

My post about the sub forum answered your HCl question and will answer your questions about common sources of other substances.

Offline mafiaparty303

« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2007, 03:34:03 AM »
Woudn't mixing.... Hydrochloric acid and SodiumNitrae give you Nitric Acid and table salt?
-Founded by Pierre Masse

Offline woelen

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +40/-2
  • The art of wondering makes life worth living...
    • Science made alive
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2007, 12:12:36 PM »
No, not precisely. You get a mix of chloride and nitrate at very low pH. This mix is unstable and is somewhat comparable to aqua regia. You can make the mix, but don't store it for a longer time.
Want to wonder? See http://www.oelen.net/science

Offline mafiaparty303

« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2007, 12:48:39 PM »
I don't really understand what you mean by a mix of chloride and nitrate? What would happen to the sodium?

And where can I get some Calcium Oxide? I've looked everywhere..ebay has one for $30 (no way), that place you gave me (woelen) dosnt have it.
Does anyone know where I can get some!?

Thanks

EDIT: What is the difference between CuSO4 and CuSO4.5H2O?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2007, 01:44:06 PM by mafiaparty303 »
-Founded by Pierre Masse

Offline woelen

• Chemist
    • Science made alive
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2007, 04:34:01 PM »
Of course, the sodium remains in the liquid also, but that only is a spectator ion, so I did not mention it.

To be more precise, if you add NaNO3 to concentrated HCl, then you'll get some white precipitate of NaCl (and also left over NaNO3). In solution you will have the following ions:

Na(+)
H(+)
Cl(-)
NO3(-)

and you will of course have water.

The H(+), Cl(-) and NO3(-) will slowly react, forming Cl2, NOCl and H2O. So, after some time, the liquid also will contain molecules of Cl2 and NOCl besides the ions, mentioned above.

Is CaO really interesting? I would certainly not add it to your collection of chems as a starter. Even now, while I'm doing chemistry for quite a few years already and have a few hundreds of different chems, I still do not have CaO. There are more interesting ways to spend your money (besides the chems I mentioned earler, a very good one is a mix with 5% ethanol, some CO2 bubbles in it, and a tasteful golden yellow aroma ;D).

Many salts exist in multiple forms. Hydrated forms and anhydrous forms. CuSO4.5H2O is copper (II) ion, with 4 H2O-molecules coordinated to it, and one H2O molecule coordinated to the sulfate ions. These compounds are very different. Many hydrates are true ionic compounds, such as CoCl2.6H2O, CrCl3.6H2O, NiSO4.6H2O, while the anhydrous compounds are not true salts but are strongly covalent. Their chemical properties are very different and they also look very different:

CuSO4.5H2O
CuSO4
NiSO4.6H2O
NiSO4
CoCl2.6H2O
CoCl2

Offline mafiaparty303

« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2007, 05:09:57 PM »
o ok.... Na2S.H2O is Sodium Sulfide Monohydrate, so from the "place" I would get the Sodium Sulfite[(mono/anahydrous) or the Sodium Sulfide???
-Founded by Pierre Masse

Offline woelen

• Chemist
    • Science made alive
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2007, 05:58:15 PM »
You should obtain sodium sulfite (they sell the anhydrous form or the monohydrate). The chemical properties of sodium sulfite anhydrous and sodium sulfide monohydrate are also different, but not as much as the difference of the other salts I mentioned in my previous post. For your purpose both chemicals are suitable and it does not really matter which one you obtain. Sodium sulfite is a fairly innocuous chemical, which is a very nice, but safe chem for a starter.

Sodium sulfide also is quite interesting, but it is a dangerous chemical. It is VERY poisonous, especially if acid is added. It has a horrible smell, but if the smell becomes too strong it deadens your sense of smell and then the sulfide may even kill you, without you noticing it, until you suddenly pass out. So, with sulfide you must be very careful, and I really suggest you first study its properties before you experiment with it. Also storage of sulfide requires special care.

From the list of chems, I mentioned a few posts ago, the sodium sulfide by far is the most dangerous one.

Offline mafiaparty303

« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2007, 07:02:39 PM »
OK thanks,

Another question... if you took Epsom Salt (Magnesium Sulfate) put it in solution with water and then added calcium, would you get magnesium metal and Calcium Sulfate?
-Founded by Pierre Masse

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2007, 07:49:58 PM »
OK thanks,

Another question... if you took Epsom Salt (Magnesium Sulfate) put it in solution with water and then added calcium, would you get magnesium metal and Calcium Sulfate?

Think about reactivity. Which is more reactive, Mg or Ca?
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2007, 08:03:53 PM »
Don't forget you have plenty of water around!
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline mafiaparty303

« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2007, 08:42:18 PM »
Calcium is more reactive is it not? So is that a yes or no? Your saying the calcium would rather react with the water than the Epsom salt in solution? ???
-Founded by Pierre Masse

Sponsored Links