April 29, 2024, 12:01:50 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Question about photosynthesis and respiration  (Read 5037 times)

Offline funboy

• Mole Snacks: +2/-4
Question about photosynthesis and respiration
« on: December 31, 2006, 03:29:07 PM »
Organelle envolved in respiration = mitochondria
Organelle envolved in photo..     = chloroplast

Organelle structure in respiration ??
Organelle structure in phot..  ??

When someone asks you to compare the organelle structurese in photosynthesis and cellular respiration what are they expecting as an answer???

Thanks

Chris

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
Re: Question about photosynthesis and respiration
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2007, 09:29:00 PM »
I'm sure what you mean by structure? I'm going assuming you mean what's within the organelle. I forget a lot of my biology, but I'll try to help since no one else has answered.

As far as chloroplast goes, there is a sub-organelle called a thylakoid. This is where the actual photosynthesis is taking place. Google thylakoid. Other keywords could be the lumen, the area inside the thylakoid; granum, a stack of thylakoids; and chlorophyll, the actually molecules that are absorbing the light. The Calvin cycle sums up the light-independent reactions. I don't think there is a name for the light dependent reactions.

As far as mitochondria go, you need to look into the inner and outer membranes. They play different roles in the process. You also have the mitochondrial matrix, which has other sub parts. I think the inner membrane is actually called the cristae, but don't quote me on that. The major keyword for the reactions in the mitochondria would have to be the Krebs cycle. It sums up the break down of carbohydrates.

Another thing is that some of the fluids have specific names I believe. I can't remember a lot of the stuff, and the finer mechanics off the top of my head.
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Offline Yggdrasil

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +485/-21
  • Physical Biochemist
Re: Question about photosynthesis and respiration
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2007, 11:10:19 PM »
How are chloroplasts and mitochondria similar?  What membrane-bound reaction system is common to both respiration and photosynthesis?

Sponsored Links