March 29, 2024, 11:49:54 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Effects of psychoactive drugs in terms of neurotransmitters.  (Read 5319 times)

Offline powell

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Effects of psychoactive drugs in terms of neurotransmitters.
« on: December 31, 2006, 01:53:49 PM »
Hello,

I've started to do some research, and it seems psychoactive drugs are mostly linked with serotonin levels. Its pretty hard for me to understand this relationship, however. Can anyone shed some light on how Valium (for example), and other psychoactive drugs work with respect to neurotransmitters?

As a sidenote, I plan to tie the above conclusion with the dangers that exist from taking drugs that interfere with naturally produced neurotransmitter chemicals.

any information on either of the above topics is greatly appreciated.

Happy New Years everybody!

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
Re: Effects of psychoactive drugs in terms of neurotransmitters.
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2007, 09:41:54 PM »
There are many different types of psychoactive drugs. I'm surprised that in your research you haven't come across a chart of the different types. The different classes of drugs work in different ways.

I suggest you read Buzzed: The Straight Facts about the Most Used and Abused Drugs from Alcohol to Ecstasy

This is the Amazon.com link to the book. I liked it. It's very informative. There is a section dedicated to the brain. I recommend you start by reading it (it's in the back) then reading about the different drugs.
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Sponsored Links