Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Iron Oxide  (Read 4563 times)

Offline The Tao

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
  • Chemistry BS Student
Iron Oxide
« on: January 01, 2007, 09:28:50 PM »
Hello,

I'm trying to make iron oxide, through electrolysis, but I don't have any pure iron. I was wondering if steel could be used, or would this complicate the reaction?
"The universe is built on a plan of profound symmetry of which is somehow present in the inner structure of our intellect."

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
Re: Iron Oxide
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2007, 03:22:19 AM »
Which iron oxide?
I think a chemical method with heating is much better
AWK

Offline The Tao

• Chemistry BS Student
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2007, 07:38:09 PM »
Actually, I don't know...I realize there are like 16 iron oxides, but I don't know which one is created through the process of electroylsis....the end result was a brown powder, it kind of looks like pigment...
"The universe is built on a plan of profound symmetry of which is somehow present in the inner structure of our intellect."

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 08:58:34 PM »
I would have to guess it was probably iron (III) oxide, Fe2O3 (normal "rust"). The iron is oxidized to Fe+3.

Iron (II) oxide, FeO, is black if I remember correctly.

Could you supply a picture?
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Offline The Tao

• Chemistry BS Student
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2007, 09:27:59 PM »
I'ts not the black iron oxide, I think you're right too. It's the Iron (III) Oxide.

Offline enahs

• 16-92-15-68 32-7-53-92-16
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +206/-44
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2007, 01:58:04 AM »
Yes, please do not make Ferrous oxide (FeO), the black colored powder. It is easily ignited and can cause explosions.

I will tell you a very easy way to make Rust, Iron(III) oxide, but first you must listen to my safety warnings.
It will result in the production of chlorine gas, which is highly toxic and can even kill you.
Only do it outside (or if you have access to a fume hood), where there is good ventilation (not under a porch roof). Wear a mask or filter if possible, and hold your breathe when you mix the reactants. Immediately step at least 6 feet away after mixing, and do not approach for at least 2 min after the reaction appears complete.

The reaction quite fun to watch.

Put a piece of steel wool in a dish of vinegar (just enough to submerge it), then add a few mL of bleach. Step back and follow the safety instructions.

Now, after you have done this experiment, look up what vinegar and bleach is (if you do not already know) and try and devise the chemical reaction or reactions?! :) taking place.

Offline The Tao

• Chemistry BS Student
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2007, 12:27:54 AM »
Yes I already know that reaction. I don't necessarily have to make the black Iron Oxide...as other forms of Iron Oxide make thermite  :)

Sponsored Links