April 29, 2024, 08:16:37 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Taking postgraduate studies in US  (Read 5066 times)

Offline elmyhalily13

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Taking postgraduate studies in US
« on: January 05, 2007, 04:57:06 PM »
Hello fellas... I'm a graduate student of BSc Applied Chemistry from outside of US.  I would like to take postgraduate studies in US in the Forensic Chemistry. Currently working as a chemist in the petroleum industry. As part of my job I'm doing lots of analytical testing. My question is am I qualified for postgraduate studies of Forensic Chemistry in US. Do u have any suggestion of the universities i should applied for? TQ for your cooperation.

Offline enahs

• 16-92-15-68 32-7-53-92-16
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +206/-44
Re: Taking postgraduate studies in US
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2007, 01:28:40 AM »
There are very few schools that offer degrees in "forensic chemistry".
Furthermore, there are even fewer that offer masters degrees in forensic chemistry. Around here, forensic chemistry is generally classified as just a specialized field of analytical chemistry.

If you want to be just a normal forensic lab worker, all you need is a basic chemistry degree, then you must complete what is basically an associates degree (think of that as half a bachelors degree) in the field of forensic chemistry. The specifics of these associates degree vary from state to state (due to different laws). In many states you do not even need a degree in chemistry (or biology) you just need the associates degree. However naturally, the more education you have the better you will be and the more you get paid.

If you want to be more then just the basic lab worker, then you should go for the actual masters degree. I do not know where you live, but here in the US you can get into graduate programs of nearly any kind with a bachelors in some other field. For instance I have a close friend that had a bachelors in psychology (he went to a very small school) and that allowed him to get into graduate school in computer science (they clearly made him go back and take a few advanced CS classes to catch up, but minimal work).

You should have absolutely no problem getting into a masters program for forensic chemistry with a bachelors in applied chemistry (assuming the US recognizes the credentials of your school in your country). I only know of a few schools that offer masters degrees in forensic chemistry (this is by no means a definitive list):
California State University at Los Angeles
George Washington University
Michigan State University
Hampton University
West Virginia University
Those are just a few that I know of that offer masters programs, and PhD’s in forensic chemistry. Just search around.

Also, an actual forensic degree will not only let you get a more “prestigious” job and better pay, it will allow you to work for say the FBI (there will of course be legal issues regarding your status as a citizen and such in this case); which has a huge forensic department and I imagine a more mentally challenging and stimulating job.

But with an applied chemistry degree and an associates degree in forensics science you can easily get a job, and will be more qualified then most, unfortunately (this is a statement on the crappy qualifications required here, as I said in many places just require the associates degree). Just do a search for forensic chemistry bachelors program and you will see they are nothing but an analytical chemistry degree with electives geared towards forensic science.

The forensic chemistry/science associates programs are offered in multiple colleges in nearly every major city in the US.

But since you specifically mentioned masters program, start with those I listed and search around the internet; but you will have no trouble getting accepted (again, assuming the US school systems recognize the credentials of your school and you get semi decent grades)

Sponsored Links