April 16, 2024, 10:42:32 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Acetylene...worried  (Read 4686 times)

Offline bigjake123

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Acetylene...worried
« on: January 05, 2007, 05:41:06 PM »
Hi, Yesterday i was cutting metal using a normal process (acetylene/oxygen) i accidently breathed in a medium amount of acetylene and emediately became dizzy, which is normal to my knowledge, but later on at night when i returned home i was still dizzy, headache, and had trouble getting to sleep.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Acetylene...worried
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2007, 06:01:33 PM »
MSDS doesn't state anything about toxic effects of acetylene. But I have no idea what is the source of dizziness, so MSDS information can be of no use.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline enahs

• 16-92-15-68 32-7-53-92-16
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +206/-44
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2007, 06:09:24 PM »
Acetylene used to be used as a general anesthetic, it is much more potent then tradition nitrous oxide. It was discontinued because the reaction with oxygen is dangerous. It can, like anything be deadly in large dosages, and impurities in it are usually the more toxic effect. But the prolonged dizziness is perfectly reasonable, being it a very strong anesthetic. Obviously if it continues the next day or you notice any other problems go see a doctor immediately (such as trouble breathing, constant continuous headache, fever, etc). But I would not worry at all if all the effects are gone.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2007, 06:18:36 PM »
Acetylene used to be used as a general anesthetic, it is much more potent then tradition nitrous oxide.

Yep, that's what I found Googling in the meantime - you have just posted it earlier :)

See for example:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acetylene#Toxic_effects:

While the impurities in acetylene can be toxic and even fatal, pure acetylene is of a very low toxicity (not counting the "narcotic" effects). Up to 80% percent, (v/v) acetylene has been administered to surgical patients as a general anaesthetic. The trade name for acetylene was "narcylene."
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline bigjake123

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2007, 06:49:04 PM »
I currently feel fine, but i was just wondering if the acetylene was used as an anesthetic, then how come i couldn't sleep. my whole body was very tired like i thought would happen, but my "head/mind" was awake and had difficulty sleeping. Thanx so far guys...

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2007, 07:12:48 PM »
Think in terms of hangover ;)

Offline enahs

• 16-92-15-68 32-7-53-92-16
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +206/-44
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2007, 07:54:29 PM »
Yes, everybody has different reactions to anesthetics. Which is why there are special doctors that administer it typically. Some people it can make blood pressure shoot up dangerously high, or dangerously low. Some people from the mental aspect of it (the way the brain interprets things) in the altered state just goes full on, and has the reverse effect of making you tired (you are still physically feeling tired/drowsy, but your mind is incredibly active). Very common, and why it is actually dangerous, if you have adverse reactions to anesthetics.

Also, worrying about if you just poisoned your self and might become mentally handicapped for the rest of your life would probably tend to keep your mind active and make it hard to go to sleep :).

Offline bigjake123

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2007, 08:01:55 PM »
Hey, thanx a lot, that cleared the question. i don't really know a lot about acetylene...so i guess it's all good, thanx again...appreciate it

Sponsored Links