April 29, 2024, 12:47:04 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Organic Fiberglass Resin  (Read 7892 times)

Offline Munqaxus

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Organic Fiberglass Resin
« on: January 07, 2007, 11:34:37 AM »
Is there an abundant organic chemical that is pretty easy to come by that has similar properties to fiber glass resin (Something this is more safe than fiber glass resin)?  Either something that crystallizes or hardens with another organic, easy to come by chemical or hardens from heating in a regular oven?  The reason I am asking is I am working with paper mache and would like to find something besides water based ingredients to work with, to avoid shrinkage and for possible outdoor usage.  I thought that if anyone knew of anything like this, it would be a Chemist.

I know this is an kind of out of the ordinary question and hope I’m not pestering you all with it, and thank you for any responses.

Offline enahs

• 16-92-15-68 32-7-53-92-16
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +206/-44
Re: Organic Fiberglass Resin
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2007, 12:36:49 PM »
You could use glass wool.
You where not very specific on what you want to use besides water, but it should work.

Be advised though, if you do not wear gloves when using it, you will wind up with millions of micro cuts all over you hands that hurt really bad.

It is not exactly cheap though, unless you buy in bulk.

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2007, 10:30:54 PM »
I use clay but that needs a kiln
You still get shrinkage

Have you heard of paper clay?

How about polymer clay

How about the products that are sold as over night air-dry clays
Then coat them with water-resistant paint

Offline Munqaxus

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2007, 12:04:39 AM »
Clay is too heavy for what I want to use it for.  I was thinking along the lines of masks, light wall art, etc.  I'm trying to think of a safe alternative to fiber glass.  I was thinking along the lines of paper pulp and some type of oil-based binder so I wouldn't get shrinkage.  Maybe shellac and paper pulp.  I would like to be able to do artwork similar to what Ron Mueck does.  Very smooth, very light weight.  Any ideas?

Thanks for the suggestions so far.  Does this help explain what I am looking for?

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2007, 01:17:54 AM »
I just finished looking at some of the works by Ron Mueck. They are very large and very intense. I assume you are looking to do similar things but use a different medium. That means we can rule out silicone, resins, and fiberglass.

If you work with paper as a base you are most likely going to get shrinkage. The process of drying from whatever you mix it with will have the individual fibers contract. As I mentioned before there is a medium called paper clay which is a mixture of both that may not shrink as much. I have only been told about paper clay and have no experience with it.
What I know first hand only applies to clay and precious metal clay. The first you have ruled out and the second is way too pricey. I have seen people work polymer clay and I get the feeling it does not shrink too much when put in the oven at 160F. It however has some limiting strength issues. I just recently used some over night drying clay like stuff. It sort of felt like working with foam. I know there is stuff you make for children using borax and glue that can be sculpted. You might consider trying paper, borax, and white glue.
I might be tempted to carve away at that foam they have in the building supply store that you use to fill in the cracks.

Those are my ideas for now, but let me ponder more.

In any case the chemists here may know of some new stuff being made that might fill the bill.

Sponsored Links