April 28, 2024, 02:55:55 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: liquids to make different flame colors  (Read 2862 times)

Offline topher3683

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
liquids to make different flame colors
« on: January 12, 2007, 01:19:26 AM »
Hello All,

I am trying to come up with several alcohol solutions that will burn with different flame colors. I became interested in this when I saw a show downtown, and they had these 20 foot flames that could change colors on command (digitally controlled I assumed). I wanted to reproduce one of these machines and thought I could make a Red, Blue, Yellow flame by creating the correct liquids. Does anyone have any experience with this? I'm having problems finding chemicals that dissolve in alcohol solutions.

Thanks
Chris M

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
Re: liquids to make different flame colors
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2007, 09:32:50 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flame_test#Common_Metals

That should help you  at least identify which metals will give you what colors. From there you'll need to try to find salts of the desired metal that are soluble in whichever alcohol you are trying to use.

Also, are you sure they weren't just adding a solid metal salt into a flame that is produced by say, a hydrocarbon?
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Sponsored Links