April 28, 2024, 11:42:03 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Equillibrium issues  (Read 4686 times)

Offline Kaleyrvt

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
Equillibrium issues
« on: January 14, 2007, 04:19:03 PM »
This is my question:
Consider a stoppered flask containing benzene, iodine, and air, which has reached equillibrium at 298 K. Which one of the following statements concerning the system at equillibrium is true?
a) The pressure of the vapour phaseis not constant
b)Evaporation of the liquid continues
c)The colour of the liquid phase will change
The mass of the solid iodine is not constant

I don't know if this question is missing a part but it makes absolutely no sense to me.....I feel that there is not enough info to allow me to make a final answer-can someone please *delete me*! I know I am supposed to post my work but I have no clue!!
Thank you!

Offline Yggdrasil

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +485/-21
  • Physical Biochemist
Re: Equillibrium issues
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2007, 06:43:18 PM »
Well, consider this question first what does it mean for a system to be at equilibrium?

Offline Kaleyrvt

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2007, 11:01:32 PM »
equillibrium  is a state that is reached when the original substances react at the same rateas the products react with each other to reform the original substances. Otherwords, reactions are reversable and a balance is reached bewtween both the forward and reverse reaction.

Offline Yggdrasil

• Retired Staff
  • Physical Biochemist
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2007, 11:55:55 PM »
That's a good description of equilibrium.  But, perhaps we should focus on what happens to the system over time.  How do the properties of a systems at equilibrium vary over time?

Offline Kaleyrvt

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2007, 12:30:26 AM »
I thought they remained constant over time. Thus, a and d are probably incorrect, so I would assume that c is the correct answer-this is becasue equillibriumhas been reached, therefore physical properties can now be observed??? :-\

Offline Yggdrasil

• Retired Staff
  • Physical Biochemist
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2007, 03:17:17 PM »
But with (c), the properties of the system will not be constant over time, since the color of the liquid (which represents the concentration of iodine in the benzene) changes over time.

The correct answer is (b) and the question relies on your recognition that equilibrium is a dynamic process (as you mentioned in your first definition of equilibrium).  Remember that at equilibrium your forward and backward reactions do not stop.  Rather "original substances react at the same rate as the products react with each other to reform the original substances."  So in terms of the equilibrium between liquid and gaseous benzene, the liquid benzene is still evaporating.  However, the gaseous benzene is condensing at the same rate, so overall there is not change over time.

Sponsored Links