March 28, 2024, 10:08:26 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Electronic conductivity and Electrode potential versus standard hydrogen electro  (Read 4613 times)

Offline gaschroking

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Hello eveyone,

I tried to search the net about this two terms;

1. Electronic conductivity
2.  Electrode potential versus standard hydrogen electrode

But i cant still understand what  they  really mean. Anubody here who can help me explain in  a layman' s language the above terms. When we say we measure  the electronic conductivity  of  water and its electrode potential  waht does it indicates about the water? Example what would be ?the  effect of higher electronic conductivity  or wlelctrode potential to the water organisms?

Many thanks

Offline enahs

• 16-92-15-68 32-7-53-92-16
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +206/-44
Electric reduction potential, will naturally be different for each solution. For the use of easy reference, we assign he reaction of the standard hydrogen electrode to be 0.
This is just a convention, an arbitrary potential to give us a point of reference.
Just like with water, which freezes at 0oC. Hexane boils at 69oC and Benzene boils at 80oC. That gives them a difference of 11oC. If we said water freezes at 200oC, the difference would still be 11oC but they would boil at 269 and 280 respectively.

We we measure the half-cell potentials relative to the S.H.E. we are putting the potentials on a scale between which we can measure the difference.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_electrode_potential

Offline gaschroking

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
May I know what factors influence the  increase or decrease of the elctronic conductivity and electrode potential of a subtance(e.g, water)? Thanks

Online Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Google water conductivity, check wikipedia for Nernst equation.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline xiankai

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +77/-37
electrical conductivity is also measured as total dissolved solids (TDS). depending on the kind of substances inside, it may be conducive or negative to your organisms' environment.

however, a higher electrical conductivity is a rough sign of a greater amount of nutrients, if u know what u have put inside before, which is essential for aqua plants
one learns best by teaching

Sponsored Links