April 27, 2024, 10:49:12 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: polishing magnesium ribbon  (Read 9726 times)

Offline iaoveladamaa

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
polishing magnesium ribbon
« on: January 13, 2007, 10:46:56 PM »
This is a very simple question I know .. but I dont know how to word what I'm thinking .. so I was wondering if someone could help me.

How would your results have been different had you not cleaned the magnesium ribbon before you used it?

(In the experiment what we did was we put a piece of magnesium ribbon in 100mL graduated cylinder of HCl (15 mL of 6mol/L) and water)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2007, 11:43:07 PM by iaoveladamaa »

Offline Yggdrasil

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +485/-21
  • Physical Biochemist
Re: polishing magnesium ribbon
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2007, 12:30:49 AM »
Well what is the purpose of cleaning the magnesium ribbon?  Is the outside of the metal magnesium or has something happened to the outside?  What happens to the outside of metals over time?

Offline vhpk

• Mole Snacks: +12/-25
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2007, 06:59:30 AM »
Perhaps there is MgO outside the Magnesium ribbon like Al2O3 outside the aluminium ribbon, so the result is that the volume of H2 we get isn't similar to the result which we got by theory
Genius is a long patience

Offline Yggdrasil

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +485/-21
  • Physical Biochemist
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2007, 03:41:18 PM »
Yup, there is a magnesium oxide (MgO) coating on the outside of the magnesium ribbon.  Although  I'm not sure that the presence of this coating will affect your calculations, MgO won't react with the HCl.  So, if the coating is thick enough, it can significantly slow the reaction of the magnesium metal below the MgO with the HCl.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2007, 04:07:36 PM »
MgO won't react with the HCl.

??? My books tell me that it can even react slowly with water (especially if powdered). Also if it will not react with acid it won't work in antacids when treating heartburn.

IMHO it will react, just without H2 evolution. That will change hydrogen volume per magnesium ribbon mass ratio.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links