April 20, 2024, 04:19:23 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Where can I start looking for an chemisty internship?  (Read 5424 times)

Offline Amide

• Mole Snacks: +2/-0
Where can I start looking for an chemisty internship?
« on: January 15, 2007, 03:36:32 AM »
Hi everyone!

It's nice to finally find a forum where everyone appreciates chemistry. I'm currently in my 3rd year on my BSc in Chemistry. Summer is coming up (in 4 months) and I'm interested in finding an internship or a chem related job for the summer. I'm not quite sure where to start. I have an analytic and organic background. The oil and gas industry are huge in my city. My University does have a intership program but it's restricted to honors students. I want to try to find a job on my own. How would I start? Where do I start looking? What kind of job can I expect? I'm completely lost when I comes to careers in Chemistry. Thanks in advance for all your *delete me*

[Edit] I just wanted to add that my grades aren't the best (I'm about average, maybe a little below average) and currently, I have no plan to get my PhD, but I'll rethink it after this year.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 03:43:59 AM by Amide »

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
Re: Where can I start looking for an chemisty internship?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2007, 09:37:04 AM »
You will probably find this helpful

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/sci/chem-faq/intern/
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Offline enahs

• 16-92-15-68 32-7-53-92-16
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +206/-44
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2007, 12:48:26 PM »
http://see.orau.org/AcademicStatus.aspx?type=Undergrad

For more then undergrad:
http://see.orau.org/

I have in fact gotten two internships from there in my undergrad career, and I am starting another for this summer, too.
The one this summer is local (in state) and will not be that fun or challenging, but the other two where great, and on total opposite ends of the country!

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 05:19:49 AM »
Why not just directly write in the HR of major chemical companies such as Sigma Aldrich or GSK?

Speculative application does not hurt :D
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Sponsored Links