April 18, 2024, 10:35:39 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: gas volume  (Read 9063 times)

samm

gas volume
« on: November 29, 2004, 02:12:50 PM »
I'd really like help with this, thank you!
i have to work out how much volume of gas is produced by these.

2CuCo3 ----> Cu2O + 2CO2 + 1/2 O2

CuCO3 ------> CuO + CO2

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
Re:gas volume
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2004, 07:58:47 PM »
according to the first reaction, 2moles of copper(II) carbonate produces 2.5moles of gas. The second equation tells you that 1 mole of copper(II) carbonate produces 1mole of gas.

It seems that you have 2 conflicting equations because both involve CuCO3. First, decide if the condition of the reaction favours the first or second equation. If both happens, what is the extent of reaction for each of them? What factors account for individual extent of reaction?
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +106/-23
  • I am NOT a freak.
Re:gas volume
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2004, 11:50:21 AM »
Also, since there are no masses given for the starting reactant, you will need to give your answer in terms of "X volume of gas per Y moles of reactant".
"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

Sponsored Links