April 29, 2024, 02:02:36 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Want to write for C&EN?  (Read 5309 times)

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
Want to write for C&EN?
« on: January 17, 2007, 09:52:14 PM »
C&EN is looking for a science intern to work at home and help write News and feature stories for the Science/Technology/Education division of the paper. The advertisement can be found here: http://pubs.acs.org/cen/science/internship.html, a summary of the advertisement is below.

Internship Opportunity

Chemical and Engineering News, the weekly newsmagazine of the American Chemical Society, seeks an intern for our Science/Technology/Education department for the summer of 2007. The candidate should be a highly motivated science-writing student with at least a bachelor's degree in chemistry or an allied field. The intern will have a chance to write both news and feature stories, and may work from their home in any location. They must have access to email, phone, and fax. We offer a $1500 monthly stipend for three months and will pay phone expenses and for a trip to our Washington, D.C., office for a week of orientation at the start of the internship. Starting and ending dates are flexible.

Please send cover letter, resume, references, and two clips to:

* Ron Dagani
      Assistant Managing Editor
      Science/Technology/Education
      1155 16th St. NW
      Washington, DC 20036

or by email to
r_dagani@acs.org

Deadline for applications is Feb. 16, 2007.

C&EN plans to make a decision by March 16, 2007.

So if you are not doing the whole research thing this summer and you want to try your hand at the old science journalism thing then go apply. It says a B.S. is required but I assume there might be so wiggle room if you show real motivation and enthusiasm. Plus, $1500 a month is good money when compared to my salary. Hmmm..., I wonder if full-time chemistry graduate students can apply...

Note 1: If you are really bored, go have a read at thechemblog's post about female chemistry researchers. I'm still waiting for someone to royally put their foot in their mouth on that one.: http://www.thechemblog.com/?p=369

Mitch[/size]
« Last Edit: May 09, 2007, 12:25:01 AM by Mitch »
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline Ψ×Ψ

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +8/-4
  • ooh, shiny!
    • carbon-based curiosities
Re: Want to write for C&EN?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2007, 12:41:58 AM »
The C&EN internship looks pretty awesome.  Almost makes me wish I were graduating this semester (like I was supposed to in the first place). 

As far as the "duhhh...women are not good at teh science" discussion...those almost invariably end in bloodbaths.  It's not bad that Kyle brought it up, though.  Consciousness-raising is a necessary first step toward progress.  I do wonder what makes so many people cling to dated stereotypes, though.

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2007, 02:24:04 AM »
You should apply. The worse they can say is, "we want an actual B.S., and although you know enough to be a graduate student that doesn't matter, we want the title."
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline Beth Halford

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2007, 04:52:37 AM »
You should apply. We're a fun bunch to work with.

Sponsored Links