April 25, 2024, 05:22:21 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Thermochemistry Problem  (Read 4250 times)

Offline nickthegolfer

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Thermochemistry Problem
« on: January 21, 2007, 07:03:34 PM »
I'm embarrassed to be turning to you guys once again, but I'm pulling out all stops here.  Grades are due, the teacher presumably is paid a salary based on how many students fail, and I don't know how they can reference evolution in a chem book.  But I digress.  I need to finish a thermo-chem review, problem is I only comprehend the specific heat part.  If someone could throw me a bone here, well, if you ever need a kidney donor...
Anyways, here's the problem...

1. A piece of metal weighing 500.0 g is put into a boiling water bath. After 10 minutes, the metal is

immediately placed in 250.0 g of water at 40.0 °C. The maximum temperature that the system

reaches is 50.0 °C. What is the specific heat of the metal?

2. When 1 mole of hydrogen gas reacts with 1 mole of iodine gas to produce hydrogen iodide gas, 51.8

kJ of energy are absorbed.

a) Write a balanced thermochemical equation.

b) How much heat is involved in the decomposition of 5.843 g of HI into H2?

c) Is the heat in the decomposition absorbed or evolved? Justify your answer.

3. Use the equations:

2 C2H2(g) + 5O2(g) ? 4CO2(g) + 2H2O(g) ?H = -2512 kJ

N2(g) + ½ O2(g) ? N2O ?H = 104 kJ

To obtain ?H for the reaction:

C2H2(g) + 5N2O(g) ? 2CO2(g) + H2O(g) + 5N2(g)

...and here's what I've got so far:

(1)

(2)
(a)H2(g)+I2(g) --> 2HI(g) ?H=51.8 KJ
(b)...would you just use stoichiometry here, or is there something I'm missing?
(c) dear lord.  I suffered through AP Bio as a freshman.  I know evolution backwards and forwards, and I've yet to get to apply that knowledge.  What is heat evolution and heat absorption? (not in the glossary of the Chem book, and a human can probably explain better than google can)

(3)
if this were multiple choice I'm sure I'd be okay.  Sadly, I can't rely on deus ex machina in this situation.  Anyone willing to assist me?

Thanks for anything you can give me :)

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
Re: Thermochemistry Problem
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2007, 04:20:02 AM »

(b)...would you just use stoichiometry here, or is there something I'm missing?
(c) dear lord.  I suffered through AP Bio as a freshman.  I know evolution backwards and forwards, and I've yet to get to apply that knowledge.  What is heat evolution and heat absorption? (not in the glossary of the Chem book, and a human can probably explain better than google can)

(3)
if this were multiple choice I'm sure I'd be okay.  Sadly, I can't rely on deus ex machina in this situation.  Anyone willing to assist me?

Thanks for anything you can give me :)

2(b) Yes, just convert to moles and use stoichiometry.
(c) evolution = given off or released ie. exothermic reaction
absorbtion = taken in ie. endothermic reaction
hint: what does the sign (positive or negative) of delta H tell you about this?

3. You need to construct a thermodynamic cycle (Hess cycle)

Hava a look at this picture http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/04/Hess%27_cycle2.png

DHfR and DHfP can be extracted from the given information. It doesn't matter which whay round the cycle you go, the energy is the same. So, reactants -> elements -> products is the same as reactants -> products.

You could have a look at this wikipedia article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hess's_law but I don't think this is a very good article to learn from, it has a heavily mathematical approach with almost no diagrams.
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Sponsored Links